Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick, Possibly Gravid HELP

elindsey22

Reaction score
Hello all,
I apologize in advance for this longer message.

My little lady (not so little) is starting to grow fungus on her head- picture attached.
I would like to clear this up with salt baths but she has gotten HUGE all of a sudden.

I introduced a new male to the tank a few weeks back and last week I saw 2 spermatophore, though I did not see her uptake a packet. Haven't seen any since.

She has laid eggs twice before- I have had her for four years and she has done it for two- they were unfertilized due to no male being with. During those two periods I do not believe she got this big!

What I am wondering is:
Does she look possibly gravid? fat? constipated?
Her substrate is large pieces of slate so she did not ingest gravel. To me she does look more barrel shaped than pear shaped but I keep going back and forth.

Should I wait at least two days to start salt baths in case she is gravid and to not stress her?
Is there a concern with doing salt baths while fat or constipated?

As you can see I have two issues occurring and don't know what my first step should be.
I have done a water change (why my water in the photos looks a little off, but my water parameters okay).

I appreciate any help offered.

Attachments

• 20161206_131117.jpg
    20161206_131117.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 250
  • 20161206_131125.jpg
    20161206_131125.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 229
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 250

Holly12

Reaction score
Gosh, I've never dealt with a gravid female, but I hope someone can help you. She's gorgeous!! Auntiejude is very good with axies!!

elindsey22

Reaction score
Thanks Holly12, I will reach out and see if I can get some guidance. In the meantime if anyone else has any advice it would be appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!