Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to this site and axolotls.

Basicfgts

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Currently new to this site and the axolotol life.
I was wondering about how long would it take for play sand to settle inside my tank?
I made the mistake of not cleaning it before hand and now with the slightest movement of the tank water it gets so murky and hard to see. I was wondering if needed to take the sand out and wash it or will it eventually cycle through and be okay. Id rather not have to remove all the water because im a few days into my fishless cycle.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
You probably need to wash, even if it settles it can easily be disturbed.
Do you have some buckets handy? You can siphon as much water as possible (move it to a sink/bath if it's a large tank) so you can wash the sand. Keep the filter and any decorations in a bucket with the water so you don't lose any bacteria. As long as you keep most of the water and don't scrub the decorations it shouldn't affect the cycle too much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1