Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Member ! HELP i think my axolotl is sick!

OciTheAxo

Reaction score
I moved my axolotl to a bigger tank (60 L) from a smaller tank (prob. 20L). day 1 - 3 he was fine, happy exploring his new place and he eats alot. but on thursday last week i went and gave him first cricket of the day (which he eats 5-7 cricket a day) he swam away and didnt want to eat. next day i found around 4pcs of puked still solid cricket and a small amount of poo, he still doesnt want to eat, until today he still havent eaten or pooped yet... he looks fine but the part where he havent pooped nor eaten make me paranoid that he was constipated or sick. any idea how to treat my little buddy??? thank you... (6 month old axolotl - water temp are consistent and 1 small filter from my old tank with a small air pump blowing small bubbles in my tank ,his fin is straight and gills arefine. no spots on his skin. Thanks.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Can you post your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate results please. Is he floating at all, or even just the back end floating?
If he is floating it could be constipation from the crickets. Axolotls have trouble digesting the chitin the crickets have so it's not recommended as a daily diet.
I would try fridging him a few days and see how he goes. He may not want to eat while in the fridge because it slows the metabolism so don't worry if that happens. You will want to change 100% of the water while fridging him. Here is the guide https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85263
If you can find them I'd recommend feeding earthworms (nightcrawlers specifically).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!