Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

20 high?

QuantumNight

Reaction score
Hi! I recently lost my beloved Betta, Pixel to a heater malfunction and when I mentioned I wasn’t doing fish again but couldn’t bear to part with the tank I spent hours fixing up, someone mentioned axolotls! I’ve loved them since I was a kid so I immediately jumped on the idea, particularly as I have hard water in my area I was eternally cutting with RO for my fish and my last issue was to do with heaters, something lotls don’t need.

The aforementioned tank is a 20 high - 24”x12”x15”. I know the rule of thumb is 20 gallons to one Axolotl, is it the water volume that matters or the size? Obviously a 20 long is a bit..... longer.
Basically, would mine be appropriate or do I need to upgrade? I don’t want to provide substandard care!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Foot print is more important. A 20 long would be better. You can get more bottom area to a 20 high but adding drift wood, ornaments, and or hammocks for the axolotls to climb on.

QuantumNight

Reaction score
Alright, I was planning on adding a hammock anyway since my reptiles love them so much.
The reason I ask is that 20 longs basically don’t exist in the UK other than for like £150+, we’re at quite the disadvantage compared to you lot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!