Giant T. karelinii larva

Time for another update, 3 years later. Her adoptive family named her "Gilbert" (get it?). But now she's back in my basement.

For 3 years she has been reasonably cared for, but fed only blackworms. I don't think this is the best staple diet. She has a whole set of "odd" features, but I don't know if they are due to her genetic makeup or the diet.

Odd features:
bumps on the side of the head where the gills used to be
spinal curvature
spindly toes and tail
the throat sticks out oddly, but not all the time

Regarding the throat sticking out, I have seen this feature in a set of CB alpestris that Ravenous posted photos of some time ago.

Attachments

• TkGilbert1.jpg
    TkGilbert1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 317
  • TkGilbert2.jpg
    TkGilbert2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 255
  • TkGilbert3.jpg
    TkGilbert3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 279
  • TkGilbert4.jpg
    TkGilbert4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 301
I've seen these kinds of characteristics in salamanders fed on only blackworms before. Of course I've seen others with blackworm only diets that seem to be fine. I've heard lots of anecdotal information of problems with blackworm only diets but havn't seen proof one way or the other. I use lots of blackworms but do mix things up.
My gut feeling would be the blackworm diet caused the deformities.

Seeing Peter Pan like this reminds me of my 1st Triturus Mamoratus. I got him from a pretty well known breeder and he came in just like Peter Pan. Very long skinny fingers and very inactive. I wish I had a pic for Jen they look vey much the same. Bone Disease maybe? The toes seem to not have grown right and her spine is really off. The lumps on her head seem to be the stubs from her gills, I think Peter Pan was a neotenic. I think her condition is due to her recent diet and care. Her appearence is obviously stressed. I've seen other newts like Peter Pan and it seems they never really grow from their current state. Maybe in a couple of months give us another update and hopefully her appearence will be much different in a good sense. She looks like she needs better care.

Jen,
Thanks for the follow-up to an interesting animal.

I am also of the opinion that some of her traits are due to the blackworm diet, particularly the strange throat and the spinal curvature. Also, she came back a bit underweight, so periods of underfeeding may have played a part.

I guess this is good example of a bad example. Bad treatment and a bad diet, no one wants a newt like that. Not saying Peter Pan isn't important anymore. I just feel bad for Peter Pan, when I 1st joined the forum I went back and read about Peter Pan. I thought to myself this is an amazing happening can't wait for a future follow up. Sorry Peter......

This is pretty interesting. I would also guess the diet. I can see why though as they are so convenient and newts gobble them like candy.

Is their any nutritional analysis of blackworms/earthworms and perhaps the Ca/P ratio?
Their have also been reports of healthy animals(I think axolotls and another sp. raised on a wholly blackworm diet(Frank Indiviglo's book).

That's a shame about the Newt. Looked like it had been doing really well too. perhaps inducing a terrestrial stage and feeding it calcium dusted food items would help? That or adding actual calcium powder to the water so that the newts skin absorbs the C.

Not too sure if it will work but it may be worth a try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back