Mud puppy vs. Waterdog

G

grant

Hey everyone I'm farely new to salamanders, I have had a few whites tree frogs, green tree frogs, and fire belly newts, and now I am looking to purchase either a waterdog or a mudpuppy. I was wondering how long does it take for the waterdog to go through it's metamorphasis to become a tiger sal. And does anyone know if mud puppies are good pets? how active are they and is there anything I should know when caring for either of the two? I know that the tigers burrow and can be inactive for weeks at a time. I am currently a college student and want something that isn't to hard to care for. I currently have some milipedes in my room but I am getting another tank and would like to fill it. Well thanks.
Grant

A mudpuppy will require a LOT of space, plus fairly cold, well flowing water. You can purchase adult tiger sals. Kingsnake usually has some. They're also fairly common in pet shops.

Actually water dog is the common name for Axolotls. Unfortunately a lot of pet stores sell larval tigers as axolotls or water dogs. Look at www.axolotl.org for more info on them. If you do some searches on this site you can find a lot of info on all these species.
Good luck!

Well I have been doing a lot of research the last few days and isn't a mudpuppy the common name for Axolotls, and waterdog is the common name for the tiger salamander larva? But I have been doing quite a bit of research and have decided to go with the tiger salamander larva. Thanks for everything you guys.

Water dog is the common name for larval tiger salamanders. Occasionally, pet shops will also call axolotls waterdogs, although they are actually a different species. Good luck with your new tigers.

A mudpuppy is exclusively referring to a permanently aquatic animal from the eastern United States (Necturus spp., generally maculosus). They have four toes on each foot. They are also sometimes called waterdogs.

Axolotls and tiger salamanders are closely related; axolotls do not morph (a few individuals have morphed, but in general, it's an incredibly rare event.) Tiger salamander larvae do morph. Tiger salamanders are frequently called waterdogs, and like Joan said, the name gets thrown around, but it's much more likely to buy what you thought was an axolotl and have it turn out to be a tiger.

Actually after a lot of thought I ended up ordering an albino axolotl from my girlfriend (works at a pet shop). But thanks everyone for your help.

Grant, good choice. Axolotls are great. Register and feel free to post any questions you have in the axolotl section.

I've worked in a petstore. Let me tell you!!! If it has gills and legs (some times even fins) people will tell you its a mudpuppy. Most of America seems to think a mudpuppy, waterdog, larval salamander & axolotl are the same creature. I've gotten into arguements about whether or not axolotls morph and if larval salamanders morph. YUP. Its frustrating.

I even once asked my boss to order some axolotls for me and I CAREFULLY explained the difference. I wound up with three very nice larval tiger salamanders. I kept one and passed the others on to friends.

:::sigh:::: where is the education?

"where is the education?"

Right here
happy.gif

rotflmao - you got it!!! When I'm hanging out in the store - listening to bad advice or no advice I like telling people about this place!!

I should have cards made up with caudatas' addy....save a lot of time writing it out....

I bought what I was told was a waterdog. The guy in the store said that it was a unmorphed tiger salamander. I had everything set up for my juvi tiger salamender but my mudpuppy continued to grow and remain aquatic despite the shallow water and land available. Thats when I did some research and found this site. I first thought that I had an Axolotls but I quickly found out that I actually had a mudpuppy, or Necturis Malculosis. I gave it more water, but it still is not very active. I describe it as the terd that sits at the bottom of the tank. It likes to hide so I've provided it with hiding spaces, which is why I don't see it too much. I have been trying to find a new home for this guy for some time now, but with no luck. I don't personally find mudpuppies very interesting but the mistaken identity was my mistake. I should have done more research first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back