Open wound!!

K

katie

my new fire bellied newt has developed an open wound on his little hip bones that stick out in the back... is this an injury or is it disease, how do i treat it? he is also not eating or swimming really.. help us please

Does he have any tank mates that could have done it to him? Is he other wise healthy? If his hip bones are already sticking out then he's probably incredibly thin, but your description is relatively unclear, so It's hard to tell. There are plenty of pictures of healthy looking fire bellies on http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml, for an unhealthily skinny newt pic go to the thread "Health photos, resurrected newt" in the general discussion area.

he has no tank mates...he looks much thinner than the pictures, but not sickly looking...

i have only had him for a week and a half, and he hasn't eaten...the pet store was feeding him live crickets, but I was trying to avoid this, so i tried dried bloodworms, "newt bites", and mini crickets that came in a can...he didn't like any of it..I just found out today that his cage was MUCH too warm, and I am hoping that cooling it off will increase his appetite

Worms, worms, worms Katie
frog.gif
My CO's all love chopped up pieces of earthworms. I have yet to see a newt eat a regular diet of 'newt bites' All that food is processed. Try some earth/trout worms from your local fishing supply store.

If he has an open wound I recommend keeping him in an empty plastic box on damp paper towel that you refresh as soon as it gets dirty. This way no water can enter the wound and cause infections (god knows what may be in the water).
Also try to keep the newt in a cool environment, especially with this wound that will takes lots of energy to heal. He'll be stressed in warmer tanks and use energy to keep itself cool.

Feed him live food by preference, worms would be fine. Don't leave uneaten food with him too long. I have used rose water on an open wound before to keep it clean with good result. Just do a regular drop on the wound, don't use anything to wrub it in.

Even if you do the above, keep in mind that you might still loose your little friend.
Good luck,
Joeri

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back