Mealworm safe?

stokay

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello,
I started to hear some stories about mealworms and i wanted to be sure if they are true or not! I have a fire salamander and from time to time i am feeding him with mealworm.
Some people says i need to smash the head because they may bite salamander from inside!!!
Does anyone have any information about this. I was trying to find some info about their digestion system about acid and possiblity of animal to live inside the stomach but no chance!

Did you do a search on the forum? That question has been discussed many times.

I checked and read about it! First of all nothing is clear. None of the person said any scientific proof! Second of all the newest was at least 2 years old post! I hope i can have some answer in certain.

So is this means , they are not safe? :(
Thank you.

Their mouths are not safe. The rest of them are.

It is best stated this way:
"The mealworm must be decapitated before feeding to an axie as it has strong mandibles capable of chewing through an axies internals." This was written by a moderator Jacquie in this thread.
As I said, a search of the forums on mealworms would have yielded this information several times. Here, and here and here and here, for starters.

However, they are not the best, nutritionally. Earthworms are the best.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back