Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

POLL: Favorite G. porphyriticus ssp?

Coolest spring subspecies?

• Gyrinophilus p. porphyriticus - Northern spring

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Gyrinophilus p. duryi - Kentucky spring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gyrinophilus p. dunni - Carolina spring

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Gyrinophilus p. danielsi - Blue Ridge spring

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
Y'all, I know we've got some spring sally keepers 'round these parts, and many more who appreciate them (whether on herping trips or from the comfort of their computer monitors). The question is: which spring sally is best spring sally? That can be in terms of captive care (though I doubt many of us have had the luxury of keeping multiple ssp), how much you like herping for them, how interesting you find their behavior, or just how gosh-durn pretty you find them.

So which is it? G. p. porphyriticus, the northern spring, with its wide range, wild color variability, potentially monstrous size, and subtle reticulated patterning? G. p. duryi, the Kentucky spring, with its pleasant salmon coloration and large, sparse polka-dots? G. p. dunni, the Carolina spring, with its reserved coloration and bold dorsal bars disintegrating into mellower lateral webbing? Or G. p. danielsi, the Blue Ridge spring, with its shock coral-to-scarlet dorsum, scattered black flecks, and Sam Elliott-esque salt-and-pepper mustache? (Sorry to all the geezers from Ohio, but I'm not gonna include your beloved Hocking Hills cf. inagnoscus--mostly because I'm salty about never having found one during my four years in Columbus :mad: )

Nativenewt

Reaction score
Such prose... Such Poetry! Northern Spring because its the only one I would have a chance of finding:mad:

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
"Poetry," you say? You're too kind (or just the right amount of sarcastic.) Glad to see the Northern is getting some love (even though I selected Blue Ridge)--I find the standard coloration and patterning of G. p. porphyriticus to be really gorgeous, even if they're rather understated compared to the Kentucky or Blue Ridge ssp.

On a semi-related note, does anyone have any good references on the relationship between coloration and altitude for G. porphyriticus, and how that tracks with local subspecies and populations of P. ruber? Of course we're all familiar with the general relationship (higher elevation=brighter colors) as outlined in field guides, and on a coarser scale I've read about Mullerian mimicry for coastal plain vs. Appalachian highlands subspecies of Pseudotriton and Notophthalmus... but I've never seen any *academic* sources for how it all works in spring sallies, or what the mechanism is--is it mediated by food sources? Temperature? Something else?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1