Triturus alpestris larvae

Thanks Leo, that's very nice to know
biggrin.gif
At first I thought it just might be a result of the reflection of light in that photo or something. Anyway, it sure does look nice!

if they grow older the stripe will tell you which will be males and which females. Males get black dots along the stripe and have relatively shorter tails...you can tell sometimes in a few months. Females can keep a light coloured stripe, but it can also fade away.

Very interesting. I'll keep an eye out for that!

By the way, I am pretty sure this is the runt that was missing a big chunk of tail in one of the above pics. It seems to have grown back:

21178.jpg

Yes, larvae can show high regeneration. Axolotls are known for it, but Triturus species and others can so as well. As they grow older the less effective it is. And as you can see the 'new'part will probably be not as nice as the old part, mostly they turn out shorter as well.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Tim (Tj) wrote on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 16:53 :</font>

"By the way, I am pretty sure this is the runt that was missing a big chunk of tail in one of the above pics. It seems to have grown back: "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I wonder why most of the time larvae look so tattered especially when they are caught in the wild. (Although it doesn't apply to your case, Tim.) When those larvae are put into a fishtank they regenerate all lost tissue within days. I write this because there was a time when I thought T. alpestris larvae have rounded tails. Well, it is not so. It looks as if the tail tips are part of the elders dessert ...
happy.gif

This is even true for T. vulgaris. However, what T. vulgaris concerns I am not sure if actually the elder larvae are responsible for the mutilations.

Carl

Thanks for that info Serge. Interesting comments, Carl
biggrin.gif

Well, I checked with the person who gave them to me and it turns out the parents of my larvae are T.a alpestris.

Male:

21313.jpg

---------------------------------

Female:

21314.jpg

---------------------------------

21315.jpg

Hey Tim
Have they morphed already?
In what kind of tank do you keep them after they have morphed?
thnx
Gr. Leo

Hi Leo, one morphed and appeared to have drowned. Another morphed and is fine. The others remain larvae. I'm just keeping the morph on moss.

21796.jpg

21797.jpg

Here are some updates pics:

23184.jpg

23185.jpg

(both pics are of same morph)

Three more to go:

23196.jpg

Gorgeous babies!!! I have been trying for a year to get eggs to raise.

Here's an updated shot of them now:

30969.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back