Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pipa pipa ready for breeding?

E

ernest

I have three pipa pipa. Two males (they click) and one female. The female's vent is swollen and her back is turning darker brown. The males are clicking every day but not a lot. I have a 38 gallon plastic garbage can for breeding but have not used it yet. I have not seen amplexus. Really hope they breed. What is a good temperature for breeding and is deep water really necessary?

pollywog

Reaction score
How are you keeping them at present? You should not really need to do anything to induce them to breed. Deep water is not really necesary it is possible for them to breed in as little as 30cm although others have only had luck at 40-50cm.

E

ernest

Premature hopes. No amplexus. I'm thinking that Pipa pipa should breed in the Fall which is the Spring in South America. My three Pipa pipa ate 30 goldfish in less than an hour yesterday. Pipa pipa are hard to find to buy in Minnesota. I would like to buy two or three more.

E

ernest

I'm keeping three Pipa pipa in a 20 gallon tank for more than a year. I'm using an external filter with a biological sponge and the water stays clean. I don't have a light on the tank top. Frogs have become accustomed to people being around the tank and don't act panicky as they first did when put in the tank. They are eager eaters of goldfish and nightcrawler worms.
Be wary of nightcrawlers you buy for frog food. Many of these worms come from Ontario, Canada from golf courses. These golf courses are spraying their grass with poison and these worms are poisoned.

About ten years ago in a pet shop in Minneapolis, Minnesota I saw a Pipa pipa that had eggs embedded in its back. Woman owner refused to sell it. I can't remember what month that was. She did offer to sell me a tadpole for $20.00 that she claimed was a Pipa pipa.

E

edward

Well the reptile show/swap I was at today had a big tank of Pipa pipa for $15 each.

We have used commercially collected nightcrawlers for 12 years now at work with no problems.....

Ed

colin

Reaction score
I have caught Pipa pipa in the wild in amplexus in April and May. Which is still Spring in the Northern hemisphere

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You can find Pipa pipa at a fair price on Kingsnake.com. It could not have been a Pipa pipa tadpole. The tadpoles metamorphose in the adults back and froglets come out. I don't think a Pipa pipa tadpole would survive out of the mothers back. Pipa parva are a different story. The tadpoles hatch out of the mother and develop by themselves.

J

joshua

Yeah, but I wouldn't go with that place called Herps
Etc. I tried to order a 10 lot of Pipa pipa from him and he took the money and there was next to no communication, after 2 weeks and no frogs we told him we wanted out money back. I've seen one other complaint about him online, the guy's name is Carson Phelps. He said that he sells the animals for other people and that the guy that was supposed to get them was sick and couldn't get them to him (I find that a rather piss poor excuse myself), you shouldn't be trying to sell stuff you don't have yet, I feel it's a very bad business practice, and you never know what you're going to get that way.

R

riley

Last May my BoyFriend successfully bred Pipa pipa. We were both ecstatic!! There aren't words to explain the experience. We have video, photos, and documentation all the way from amplexus to hatchling. You can find our photo sequence of this process on his website www.JaySommersReptiles.com. Check it out it is incredible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1