Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pinky mice as food

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry - I'm not advocating the use of mice as caudate food. I can't really see the purpose of doing so, either, considering how many different types of things they can eat, how easily available those things are, often in your own back yard, and how much more appropriate they seem to a naturalistic diet. I'm just trying to clarify whether or not caudates are able to digest a mouse (which also leads me to question the digestion of beef, chicken, etc.).

Now, though, I am also curious as to whether feces from eating a mouse would include bones and if not, why not? Answers spawning questions...

-Eva
Eva, I wasn't directing my pinky question to you but rather posing a question. It is something that I think of each time I see these types of discussions.

I don't know specifically about caudates (never fed mine rodents), but in large snakes who eat adult rodents and have a digestive system perfectly tailored for this food, on occassion, their feces will contain fur and boney fragments. Pinks, however are neonatal and not developed.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Eva, I wasn't directing my pinky question to you but rather posing a question. It is something that I think of each time I see these types of discussions.

Hi Jan,

No worries, I didn't (and wouldn't) take offense. It seems to be agreed both in this forum and in my German forum that rodents are inapprorpriate as foods. The Germans also tend to pooh-pooh any mammalian flesh or organ meats, and the Caudata Culture site even has a picture (this article, bottom of page) of a tiger fed with exactly pinkies to illustrate salamander obesity. I can imagine that it would be possible, if rare, for a mouse or even baby mouse to fall prey to an axolotl occasionally, but I liken this to a Christmas goose - and the axolotl eating the entire goose at one sitting. As other frozen foods (bloodworm, etc.) are at least as easily found as pinkies, I see no reason to feed mice to a caudate.

It's just that some folks felt behooved to add that "axolotls can't even digest mice" and that got me searching.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1