Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My terrestrial isopod (woodlice, pillbug, sowbug, etc.) culture.

Reaction score
I thought I would share a technique I came up with for culturing terrestrial isopods. First I combined shredded newspaper and just enough hot water to thoroughly moisten the newspaper in a blender, and blended it into a chunky pulp (Note: This coats the inside of the blender with ink, so you might want to purchase an old blender from a garage sale or used appliance store). Then I pour this pulp into a plastic sweater box with holes drilled into the top for ventilation. Now just add isopods and spray with water when the pulp starts to dry out. The pulp hold moisture very well, so you won't have to spray it often. The pulp acts as both a food for the culture and a substrate for the isopods to burrow into.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting!
Could you possibly post pictures so that we can make an idea of how well this method works?
I´m planning on starting a largish culture myself (i´m waiting to find a decent starter culture).

Reaction score
Certainly!
Here they are:

Attachments

• iso1.JPG
    iso1.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 4,380
  • iso2.JPG
    iso2.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,608
  • iso3.JPG
    iso3.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 2,545
  • iso4.JPG
    iso4.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 1,099
  • iso5.JPG
    iso5.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 3,390
  • iso6.JPG
    iso6.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 891
Reaction score
In the photos above, I have some lager shredded pieces of newspaper on top of the pulp. It's hard to see them, but there are several dozen isopods in this culture. They already eaten quite a bit of the newspaper.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanx! I like it, i´ll definitely try this method instead of a soil based substrate.
This is basically the way i culture earthworms (or at least the way the culture started) and in the culture i have Trichorhina tomentosa, which are doing nicely. It´s great to see it works for larger, temperate species too!

Last edited:

nhaislip

Reaction score
Personally I prefer the method that taherman perfected. It is based around using corrugated cardboard. The cardboard layers can create a nice moisture gradient and then when you want to feed out or add them to any tanks, you can just pick up one of the flats and shake it out.

Works like a charm for me!

All credits to Tim for the method!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1