Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Opposum shrimps as a food source

T

terry

Hello folks!
I was busy collecting live food today and i stumbled upon a rare sight: A lake full of opposum shrimps (Mysis)! I took some home and placed them into a large freshwater tank and fed some to my newts. They seem to accept it readily as Asellus.

Has anyone else tried opposum shrimps as a food source? They seem to occur in some numbers during autumn here in the Netherlands as it is possibly their time of breeding.

On their own, the do look adorable and I placed them in a tank with some plant in the hopes to reproduce them.

F

frank

hi there,

This might be an interesting site for you, written in Dutch.
Maybe you already knew this one, but it might be helpfull or have some interesting information if you plan to keep or breed the mysis.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/f.ribot/mysis.html

(Message edited by frankyD on September 15, 2005)

E

edward

Mysids are a good food source and are typically high in HUFAs.

Ed

T

terry

Hey folks!

Frank, dank je wel for the site. It was very informative. I collected these aasgarnalen in a local pond near the gaasperplas. the odd thing is, it was in freshwater and not brackish water. Maybe this is a freshwater variety.

Edward: It is good to know that they are a good food source. As I am breeding my marbled newts this year, I'm sure the young shrimp could be a good food source for the newt larvae when they arrive!

P

pin-pin

On a tangent concerning "wild or collected food"--I still feel that there is a risk for parasites to enter your animals through this route.

I've found snails in ponds that upon closer examination seemed to be infected with hundreds of nematodes! While this may be fine in the wild, in an enclosed tank--it could turn into a superinfection.

If you are feeding shrimps to your animals, I'd be wary and at least quarentine them a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!