Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this?

ticonick

Reaction score
ax2.jpg

ticonick

Reaction score
oh okay thanks, it was on a blog about axolotl, and i was confused because it looks like it had hind legs and i thought maybe it was an amphibian that i hadn't heard of.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol! Why on earth would you post a question about marine fish on a newt and salamander forum? Let alone in the advanced topic section! Surely there's a website somewhere for beginners Ellasmobranchii questions! :lol:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I can see it now, post #6 must have been waiting to be approved because it wasn't there when I commented. I know I shouldn't be messing about in this bit of the forum, so sorry ticonic! It just struck me funny that it was in the advanced section.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I don't think it's photoshopped. The pelvic fins of stingrays are mostly or completely hidden under the rear edge of the pectoral fins [the "rays"]. In males especially, they're modified to resemble legs and are known as claspers, used to grasp the female for internal fertilization. I don't see anything in that picture which doesn't look like normal ray anatomy.

Margie

Reaction score
I've been keeping/breeding stingrays for about 7 years and not only does this look like a normal ray, it looks like a very young pup. I don't know what species of ray, however, other than marine (versus the 3 freshwater species I keep).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!