Best way to feed adfs in community tank?

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
My little adf is awful at finding food. I had him in a 2gal tank for a couple weeks while I was figuring out my community tank troubles and it was easy to feed him there because I had a little bowl, and could find him easily, and I'd direct him to the bowl for feeding pellets. I guess I'll have to train him again in the bigger tank, but how do you get your adfs to eat? I feed the aquatic frog/tadpole pellets, I have bloodworms but they dirty the tank so easily I hate it.
When I was a kid I had two adfs that lived to be 7 ^_^ it wasnt hard to feed them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

It is generally not advisable to keep adf with fish for a couple of reasons, the first would be that some species could endanger the frog and secondly the fish tend to beat them to the food. Saying that...... I keep five adf in a tank full of endlers and cherry shrimp and they do fine. The reason for this is that endlers are small and are not aggressive towards the frogs. I also make sure the frogs get enough food, I feed them twice a week with a large amount of white worm and chopped earthworm, they also catch baby shrimp and eat the bugs which I alow to grow in the tank. I always feed in the same corner of the tank as the frogs are hopeless at hunting compared to the fish. You also need to be aware that adf need live food to thrive, blood worm /pellets etc keep them alive for a bit but its not a great diet. Having read posts by other people , adf not fed on live food have a shorter life expectancy.

I feed mine crickets and turtle pellets, the other fish are only guppies and the frogs have no trouble getting their food

also, when is the best time of day to feed them?

I don't keep ADF/ ACF but amphibians are generally nocturnal. I always feed my Litoria caerulea as late as possible when they are active. By feeding at Dusk/ Night it is more natural, but I don't know if it really matters.

I'm sorry if this is a little to late to post a reply but I keep my two ADF with a betta (after doing a lot of research and with his calm personality in mind, he litterally swims away from the frogs if they ever interact) and after a couple incidents of the fish beating the frogs to the food, I cup the betta and put their food in the foodbowl and come back in an hour or so and the food's always gone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back