Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ADF's Eat Snails?

Frogs4ever

Reaction score
I was wondering if ADF's eat snails. Their tank got the snails from an infested PetSmart plant. :( I haven't put anything like a loach in there to eat the snails because I didn't want my frogs getting hurt, or getting outcompeted for food. However, it seems the frogs are somehow controlling the snails themselves...

I rarely ever see an adult snail (when I do I remove it), but I know they're still in there because I vacuum out shells from the sand when I clean the tank. Are the frogs eating the smaller baby snails? Are the bigger ones I see just snails that managed to escape the frogs?

The tank should be way more infested than it is, so I'm not sure what's going on.

crawdaddy

Reaction score
I'm not too sure on the subject, but I wouldn't expect the frogs to eat the snails. They might have too much chitin in the shell. If you're looking to get rid of them, I would recommend a slight salt solution. They aren't doing any harm though, just eating left over food, so I would just leave them. :ufo:

Fishumms

Reaction score
Snails typically breed in response to over feeding. Maybe your frog is doing a better job of eating it's food faster? Or you're feeding it less? Or it's gotten bigger? My ADF's will try to eat snails, especially larger one if they make a lot of movement, but they just seem to spit them out.

Frogs4ever

Reaction score
The largest size I've ever seen these snails grow would still fit in the frogs mouth. They're small. The reason I asked about the frogs eating them (there are 3 ADF's), is I NEVER see in between sizes of the snails. Just TINY baby ones and the rare full grown ones. Where are all the middle sized ones? Two of the frogs are pretty fat, so I still suspect they may have been snacking on the side. Lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1