Please help! Sick rescue axies

rachelaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently rescued two axolotls, the lady kept them in a small tank, no filter & no water changes. They have white dots on them & white around their mouths (looks like the skins being eaten away) & will not eat ANYTHING (tried bloodworms & earth worms) the lady fed them on frozen liver.
I have attached photos on the problem areas
I am beginning to use Furan 2 to treat them but wondering if its something more serious
I'm from the UK btw

please share any insight to help, they're much worse than I thought.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 8.jpg
    FullSizeRender 8.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3906.jpg
    IMG_3906.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 145
It sounds like a fungus. If so, what you can do is go out and get some aquarium salt 2 buckets, and put 2 gallons of water in each bucket, and add 1 tablespoon per gallon. Put the Axies in the bucket, one axie per bucket,and if possible, put oxygen in the water. Keep them in there for no longer than 10 minutes a day, and on the 4th treatment they should start eating again. Heres where I got my info from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BjD6qJpkyM&t=196s

She starts talking/showing the treatment about 2:55, she can explain better than I. I hope they pull through!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back