Aggression in Terrestris

Hooky87

Reaction score
Country
England
As i was cleaning out my young Terrestris today, i noticed that they squared up to each other and ended up with one of them taking a swipe at the other. Which made me think how territorial are these salamanders, and should i be worried about this behaviour.

Matt

Just a note...it could be just that they associated your presence with feeding time, got excited, and confused the movement of each other with possible prey. I´ve seen that happen in other species(i don´t keep Salamandra, but i hope to soon xD).
If it is in fact territorial agression i wouldn´t worry much as long as it doesn´t happen frequently or the attacked animal starts showing signs of stress, stop eating, etc...Make sure to provide several hiding places and enough space so that each can decide where to be.

cheers for the reply they have plenty of space and hiding places so should be ok there.It was just i have never seen my salamanders act like this.

Matt

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back