Advice on introducing new individuals

peter5930

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I had a pair of S.s.terrestris sub-adults in a 90x30x40cm enclosure, but unfortunately the female died about a month ago, leaving the male on his own. Are there any procedures to follow in order to prevent aggression when introducing new individuals, like changing the substrate and decor in the enclosure to remove territorial scent markings? More generally, how much of an issue or non-issue is intra-specific aggression in adult (or sub-adult) fire salamanders? I've looked for information on the subject, but I haven't found anything useful.

First and foremost, the new animal must be quarantined. At least for a month.
Once you´ve done that, introducing the new animal shouldn´really be a problem. Territorialism in S.salamandra is limited and real agression is extremely rare. At most, they´ll snap at an unwanted intruder. If sufficient hiding places are provided, i would expect no trouble.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back