Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some Axolotl questions

Manion

Reaction score
I happened to stop by a local pet store today, and I was surprised to see that they had spotted axolotls, and black axolotls. I wasn't so sure if the price was good: Black Axolotl - USD $40, Spotted Axolotl - USD $35. I'm here asking if the price on either is good.

Secondly if I were to buy some axolotls, I would get two(Probably two of the black axolotls). I've heard that a ten gallon tank isn't enough, so I'm wondering if a twenty gallon tank would work? My dad had an axolotl years ago, so I should be fine with their tank design. He also said that his loved to eat shrimp cocktails, and brine shrimp.

Thank you for your replies in advance.

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That's a fine price, and a 20 gallon is ok, as long as it a 20 gallon long. Shrimp and brine shrimp aren't good as staples, but can be used at treats.

Pet stores are iffy with their care of their animals, and a very highly recommended Axolotl breeder lives in Penn.

Check out what Michael has to offer, and you may change your mind about the 2 at the pet store.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f49-ad...ers-sale-white-plains-ny-july-11-shipped.html

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Check these links:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Foods
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

The better you prepare yourself, the better for the axolotls. Take your time and read as much as you can.
If you have reduced experience with aquariums, i would recommend getting a bigger tank...perhaps a 30gallon, if possible. That way it will be much easier for you to get the conditions to be excellent for your new animals, since the more water, the more stable.

In order to avoid confussion between shrimp and prawn (although i think i´m the one confused :D) i would like to point out that only fresh water shrimp are aceptable as part of the diet. Salt water species are not suitable. Earthworms are best anyway.

Good luck! I guarantee that within a year, you´ll have more than two xD

michael

Reaction score
The price is good. You might be able to find them cheaper on line but the shipping cost is high. If you want to purchase only a few a local fish store should be good. If you want to pick up more than a few it might be worth while to have some shipped to you. Double check the ones at the store to see if they are healthy. If you can't tell snap a picture and post it. We will check them out as best we can.

If you are lucky you might find somebody from Caudata.org that has axolotls available close to you.

Manion

Reaction score
Double check the ones at the store to see if they are healthy..

The ones I saw at the pet store looked pretty healthy. They weren't skinny, and none of them had front facing gills. The gills on one of the black axolotls however seemed to be shrinking into the body. I'll have to ask one of the employees there when I go again in a few weeks; I still need to get some supplies. I'll also take some pictures.

i would recommend getting a bigger tank...perhaps a 30gallon

I would get that, but I'm going to have trouble finding space for the twenty gallon already.

michael

Reaction score
The ones I saw at the pet store looked pretty healthy. They weren't skinny, and none of them had front facing gills. The gills on one of the black axolotls however seemed to be shrinking into the body. I'll have to ask one of the employees there when I go again in a few weeks; I still need to get some supplies. I'll also take some pictures.

I would get that, but I'm going to have trouble finding space for the twenty gallon already.

I don't think front facing gills in itself means their is something wrong with an axolotl. If seen plenty of healthy axolotls that have their gills stand up or curl front a little.

A 20 gallon long aquarium should be o.k. for 2 adult axolotls if you have a real good biological filter and watch your water quality close. Of course bigger is better.

Manion

Reaction score
Sorry for the bump.

I went back to the pet store today to pick up some bullfrog tadpoles.I walked by the black axolotl tank, and the sight made me walk away: one dead axolotl with the tip of it's head being bare bone, and one that had a fungus growing on it's side. Since there are no private breeders near me, I'll probably buy some when I'm ready at Ward's Science.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Oh my God :eek:

Maybe you should report this pet-shop to the RSPCA (U.S. equivalent) and/or post the shop's details here.

Good luck with finding an axie, by the way ;)

Manion

Reaction score
If I had saw that a year earlier, I would have done that. They recently got a new manager, and the store has been A LOT better. They still need to work on their care for small amphibians, but the store overall is very good in animal care now. I also just discovered that one of the tadpoles I bought is missing it's right eye. It could've been shipped that way though.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Oy.......the pet store is bad... as are most pet stores. Feel free to tell them that. I always do. :mad:

Not to disparage anyone (some very good breeders on here)... but I got 4 animals from Michael and they are beautiful, kick fanny Axolotls. They came right out of the shipping box eating and exploring. Very healthy. Well packaged with a cool pack too. Plus he answered a lot of my dumb questions as well. Breeders are always preferable to a pet store... and a good breeder is a great resource. :happy:
My guys are healthy and happy.

Manion

Reaction score
I'd get some from him, but I just can't afford the shipping costs. The ones at Ward's Science seem like a good deal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1