Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding/red pool of blood?

Meenug

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an albino axolotl named Darwin. I read that live food is more nutrition for them. I got him some feeder fish called big heads I believe and he already gulped up 2. Now I notice there seems to be a pool of blood in his tummy that I can see through his left side. Is it just the feeder fish's remains?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Feeder fish are a poor choice as a staple food.

Without a picture diagnoses is an issue. You could be seeing a hemorrhage or or the specimen's liver.

Have you read care and feeding information on this species? The Axolotl site and CaudataCulture will help you greatly in this aspect.

ted22

Reaction score
How long have you had your feeders before feeding to your axie? You need to put any feeders in a quarrantine tank for 30days minimum to avoid spreading disease/parasites/illness to your axie, I feed mine homebred guppies from time to time (not from pet shop to avoid disease contamination) but my axie isnt see through so couldnt tell you whats happening, but he has spat things out sometime after he first ate them and they have always been pretty whole (suggesting that they must digest thier food pretty slowly) How long was it between feeding him the fish and noticing the red?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1