Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is this normal?

jackiedj420

Reaction score
Hi I got my first axolotl in July. They said it was hatch in April. The first picture was taken in August and the second picture was taken exactly 31 days later. Look how much he grew (I call him ganjee), He now is 9 inches long and he's only 5 months. How long the keep growing? The last picture is of him when the sent him to me. He's so tiny.
By the way I think axolotls are the coolest thing ever. I've owned fish but my boyfriends never had any fish before. He was under the assumption that fish are stupid so when we got ganjee he wasn't really into him. Then he saw that he has his own personality and he knows who his momma is and he gets up on his hind legs standing straight up begging when it's time to eat. This along with many other amazing personality traits makes him the best pet ever.
Thanks
Jackie

Attachments

• IMG_20120731_012150.jpg
    IMG_20120731_012150.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20120902_020342.jpg
    IMG_20120902_020342.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_9543.jpg
    100_9543.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 313

jane1187

Reaction score
So are you asking if the quick growth is normal?

If you are then yes I suppose so. At lower temperatures they will grow slower but if yours has been at the higher threshold of temperature, 18-20 degrees C then it will grow significantly faster if fed well.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty fast! But all axies have different growth rates. I've had my adults for over a year, and they rocketed to about 5 inches in 3 months and slowly grew to 8 and 9 over the remaining time. Didn't become sexually mature until they were about 7"

On the other hand, I recently had a golden who became sexually mature just as he hit 5" and was only a few months old.

They are all different and surprising! Is ganjee sexually mature?

jackiedj420

Reaction score
I think he's sexually mature. How would I tell? I know he's a he because he has a bump in between his legs. I is that how you tell? He's only 5 months old and I thought you couldn't tell what they were until 1 year. I'm thinking about getting another axie that is 5 inches long. Is that to small to put in a tank with ganjee? Should I get a bigger one? I want to eventually breed him. Thanks for all the help.

Fath73

Reaction score
Yes that is how you tell. If they are males they will have a lump at the base of their tail. And it depends on the size of your tank. Two axolotls should do fine in a ten gallon tank but the bigger the better

Alright I've been thinking..when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade, MAKE LIFE TAKE THE LEMONS BACK. GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN LEMONS! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1