Help with my new axolotl

Jenni B

Reaction score
Country
England
I have 3 axolotl (1 I bought almost a week ago) then felt sorry for him being by himself so I went back to buy his friends. Long story short 2 of them are in great health, are pretty active and eating well. But the 3rd seems to have a few issues. He/she hasn't got any eyes for starters and seems to struggle to find food which is resulting in me having to help it out a bit. Secondly he/she doesn't seem to have any webbing between his toes so is struggling to swim and quite often ends up doing somersaults around the tank. He/she seems to manage to get around in a fashion.

I guess I just want to know if he/she can still live a good life and if there is anything I can do to help it out a bit. I really didn't want to leave it by itself in the petshop as all 3 seemed to have a good little frienship and he/she has a brilliant little character.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated ?

Axolotls are not social animals and don't get "lonely". Young axolotls are actually quite aggressive and have a bad habit of attacking or even eating each other, so you will need to keep a very close eye on your three axolotls to make sure they aren't hurting one another.

Can I just check what size tank you have for 3 axolotls? The minimum for one adult is a 20 gallon tank, plus another 10 gallons for each axolotl. Is your tank at least 40 gallons to support your 3 animals? If it isn't then you will need to go out and buy a new tank, because they will outgrow anything smaller very quickly. I'm guessing your tank is not this size if you only intended to buy one.

Can I also check that your tank was cycled before you got them and if it is can you explain how you cycled the tank?

Finally as for your little guy who isn't looking too swell, could you post a picture so we can get a better idea of the issue?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back