Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red dots on my axis tail, whats up with that?

Boogiethefuzz

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here but I always go to look at these post for help. But the other day I panicked and figured it's time to ask for help. I have two axis Whopper who is a baby/teen wild ask and an adult wild, Mudkip. They are both males. The other day I was doing a water change and sanitizing all their "furniture". When I sanitize I use hot water like really hot water. The thermometer I use is glass. My guess is that when I took it out of the hot water and put into their cold 65 degree water the change was too great and the thermometer broke. Only the metal weights got into the water. But the second it happened I took my babies out and changed the water again (I had just did the change) this time it was 100% water change. This fast freak out and change stressed my babies a lot. Mudkip especially. After all that they were back into there tank. Mudkips tail was curled so I sat and made sure they were gonna be ok and then I noticed soemhting I have never seen. MUDKIP HAS RED BLOCHES ON HIS TAIL. they look like blood clots but somebody please tell me what's happening I'm feaking out. He's acting normal, eating , swimming like a mad man cuz that's normal for him. And haveing and sci stack with his brother. Yes doing fine but the red dots ahhhh. Thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

debadog

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here but I always go to look at these post for help. But the other day I panicked and figured it's time to ask for help. I have two axis Whopper who is a baby/teen wild ask and an adult wild, Mudkip. They are both males. The other day I was doing a water change and sanitizing all their "furniture". When I sanitize I use hot water like really hot water. The thermometer I use is glass. My guess is that when I took it out of the hot water and put into their cold 65 degree water the change was too great and the thermometer broke. Only the metal weights got into the water. But the second it happened I took my babies out and changed the water again (I had just did the change) this time it was 100% water change. This fast freak out and change stressed my babies a lot. Mudkip especially. After all that they were back into there tank. Mudkips tail was curled so I sat and made sure they were gonna be ok and then I noticed soemhting I have never seen. MUDKIP HAS RED BLOCHES ON HIS TAIL. they look like blood clots but somebody please tell me what's happening I'm feaking out. He's acting normal, eating , swimming like a mad man cuz that's normal for him. And haveing and sci stack with his brother. Yes doing fine but the red dots ahhhh. Thanks in advance for anyone who responds.

Pictures would help with diagnosis!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1