Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is axie poop supposed to look like? -!st time axie mom-

Axolottie

Reaction score
So, I'll try to make this as detailed as possible, but without making it too long.

About a month ago, I got an a wildtype axie who was about 3 months old and possibly 2-3 inches long.
I had my tank cycled for 3ish weeks before I got him, but I had a small a small spike of ammonia (.05) the night before I got him and preformed a water change and let my tank be for 3 days, it dropped back to normal, then I added Sesame to the tank. For 2.5 weeks, I had him solely on blood worms, but decided to transition to earth worms as they're more nutritional and he's only had earth worms since (first cut up night crawlers, then on whole red wigglers.
Well, when I transitioned him to earth worms, I noticed his poop changed from a black solid to a red liquid.. is this normal?
I know their poop changes based off what you feed them, but I've never read anything about red liquidish poop.

Then 3 days ago, I got myself a juvenile copper axie who was on blood worms with the breeder, but she is eating chopped up red wigglers since I've had her. She refused blood worms from me and to test, I gave her a red wiggler and she's only wanted those since as well, if I give her blood worms, she only takes 1 to 2 bites then goes away, but will eat a cut up red wiggler like she was starving.
She's only pooped 3 times since I've had her, 1st poop was very small and it wasn't very solid, it crumbled. Now the next 2 poops are also the red liquidish poop like Sesame's...

The water parameters of Sesame's tank have been normal, but his tank crashed 2 nights ago (he's being tubbed now in pure spring water with normal parameters and a fan to keep his tub cool). And Kimchi's been getting daily water changes as she's been tubbed since I've had her.

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
My axie poop is like a brown pile of sand. For your copper one, it won't eat or poop because it is still getting use to its surroundings( don't worry it happened to me too) and I don't know anything about the poop but, you should transfer over to red wiggles. To salamanders red wiggles are bitter. Soak them in water for like 5 minutes or so and feed.

Axolottie

Reaction score
My little copper eats daily, usually a whole little red wiggler that had been cut up. They're currently both at red wigglers, Sesame has been eating them for about 1.5 weeks now and Kimchi (the copper) since she got here less than a week ago.

LippyNix

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing, pretty much. Frozen bloodworms produced more solid dark poop and the red wigglers produce a more reddish brown, less solid poop. Krill produced a much redder poop and I felt it constipated them, so I stopped feeding it. I noticed they won't eat if they haven't pooped, which makes sense. I am a first-time owner, so others on here may have more information, but my experience was like yours.

kittenmittens

Reaction score
My axies poop always looks like a brownish small turd. If it sits for awhile, it turns into a brown sand. This has never changed with their diet (bloodworms transitioned to nightcrawlers).

AkAxolotl

Reaction score
Ours has done this where the poop starts out as a pelete and then turns into a gravely looking thing kinda like kinetic sand thats a dark brown color. I would go to the vet if there is a redish tint that is super noticeable because speaking from real life expirence with my own stomach issues honestly bowel blockage can cause then to get sick just like ppl okay they eat their food whole and the texture of the food and size ect has alot to do with the way it is going in blood worms create looser stool with mine and red wiggles seem to create a almost solid single bean shaped rabbit turd. Idk mine just pooped like a solid pellet then the sand stuff all in one go but she is 5 months going on six right now and honestly to me it seems like the rules can't be that different from everything else with intestinal tracks. Bowel blockages can cause death in humans as the gases start to escape from the mouth being as they can't pass through if the system is clogged lol. Anyways a human can poop out there mouth after many days of vomiting because they have this happening with ppl they put a vent tube in their nose axolotls don't have that option available to them. I would try the vet because when blockages happen honestly the force of the vomiting can cause the intestinal track to twist up or tear if it all progression wise goes for too long many things can cause bleeding. Including worms that are not organic in the sense that they may have eaten plants ect or dirt with pesticides in the soil which would as an end result cause the axolotl to be poisoned that could cause bleeding too as well as perforated or torn bowels. Keep a close eye can you post a picture? Blood worms are filled with blood literally so honestly if it looks like red blood it is not from them it is coming from your pets gut sorry to say it but that is not good go get help or something. If you can send a pic I can have a friend take a look at it for you. She breeds them and has hundreds each year she sells and many pairs that she adores. She would be the best person to ask honestly. And their is no shame is doing a go fund me for a vet trip honestly idk why more ppl don't do it when they need too. I would rather help someone take their real life pet to the vet then wonder where .y real life money goes else where when donations do not seem to help anyone aspca is great for shelter and strays but honestly those pets in their forever home should have committed community support. I have seen many ppl in the turtles groups on Facebook do this where they have all taken turns helping each other get medical care for their buddies lil Shelly babies as my kids call em. Anyways please attach pictures. Thanks and I'm sure there is away to do a test for blood in the stool and samples can find parasites or other issues really easily so that might be a place to start honestly. The vet can write for the test and you can personally order it through quest diagnostics and then say a 500 dollar lab ends up running me 75 dollars when I pay 100% out of pocket. I have never had the horrible experience of a full bowel blockage but if they are not eating it is because their system is not clearing think about dry heaves when your super ill and then imagine having ur side stabbed with a red hot piece of metal that sends extremely painful sharp sensation thats excurating and makes you sweat and unable to breathe or speak it hurts so bad then imagine swallowing a cup of crushed glass or razor blades thats what having a torn bowel or twisted bowel feels like. Sometimes in humans it resolves on its own once the pressure is released via vent and for us getting in a hit bath can relieve alot of the pain too. Honestly if an aquatic animal has a twisted gut because of the way water works like picking a brick off the bottom of a pool is less difficult then off the actual ground and it is bleeding then you must by now realize as you read this that is not good they live without the pressure that we relieve by getting in the water. The not wanting to eat is because it would cause more pain and thats when death starts because when gut rips bacteria spill out and so on as well as you must know I have seen axolotl posts where an impaction starts as blood poop and then they start vomiting blood and die shortly after. Please get it medically treated. Don't listen to pet stores or ppl who have not taken their own pet to the vet like my breeder I know she will have solid advice because she does do vet trips they are her livelihood and source of income she will not sell one if it is ill and or missing a foot or gills got chomped off ect. I have seen her refuse ppl as customers because they were not ready no tank no proper environment. She helps anyone she sells a pet too and so on. Honestly having a person like her made my journey through this all lot easier. Sophiarosecruikshank@gmail.com send pics there is u dont wanna post em here this is my baby and she is almost see through you can tell when she is getting ready to spoil her water and honestly...she is super sweet she might be a he idk. She too young to tell just yet. But anyways take it from me if it is actually axolotl bowel issues remember getting shot in the gut is a slow and horrible death getting a blockage can kill humans and if even you don't die I promise it hurts bad enough when you get the tube stuck in ur nose that death feels like it could be relief at last. I have had 3feet of intestinal track removed because of ulcers and it is so painful. Trust me It would be nicer to put them out of their misery like for real idk how pll watch animals suffer especiallywhen they are vomiting and pooping blood there was a bad video onthe net awhile back of an axolotl with its intestinal track having come out ward from impaction that was pushing its guts towards the outside of the body. Knowing what having my insides cut up felt like makes me cringe at the thought of it all. . . I would rather brand my self with a hot metal piece then ever do that again. . If you truly think it is blood get help or try the billion ppl who love them I know help would come just ask. God bless hun good luck. And my son made a good point the larger worms you can remove the dirt from them when you chop them up some of it is much larger with the bigger worms. Every one goes on about substrate but think if they are eating bigger piece and haven't come from a organic worm farm...then they could have had glass egg shell shards ect in the their Timmy's which can chopp up a axolotl from the inside. Also feeder fish still have bones so this can only be done with bigger Axolotls and with sand they recommend I was told you wait till they are 6 to 7 inches long before using it or a year old. Anyways good luck. God bless hope it is not the bowel blockage but if it starts vomiting and won't eat it could possibly be. Becareful and monitor em close.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!