Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl - help please!!

seisle

Reaction score
Hi! my friend is moving away and giving me her axolotl and I feel really unprepared to take care of it. I just want to know if you guys think I'm doing anything wrong or if you have any tips of how I can take care of it better!

I went to the petstore and bought a new tank for it, it's 38L. I have a filter, a thermometer, and one of those bubble pump things as well as deco. I also put in some water conditioning. Is that all I need? I also bought it some frozen blood worms and meal worms. I also forgot to wet the sand when putting in the water eek! is that a problem? I don't have much time to cycle the water. Is putting in nutrafin cycle enough for it by tomorrow? I also put in some of the food because apparently that helps with the cycle. Is there anything else I need to know about general care or cleaning or tank mantience? I'm really new to this and could use anything!! thank you so much

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I use ramshorn snails to help with my cycling. They are cheap, plentiful and they don’t reproduce too quickly. It gives the tank a source of ammonia to speed up the cycling.
I’m not sure about feeding it meal worms? Usually the hard shell isn’t too good for amphibians. Try earthworms. They love those! And honestly I would take the sand out if it was my tank. It’s not bad for the axolotl, but a bare bottom tank is much easier to keep clean. I’m not too terribly experienced with it either, but this is what I’ve picked up over time. Hopefully that helps!
Can you also post a picture of the axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1