The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Field Herping Discussion Discuss Field Herping and ask questions about techniques, how to observe certain animals, what kind of habitats they inhabit, etc. Do not post field herping accounts in this sub-topic.

Old 22nd December 2018   #1
HendersonA

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: HendersonA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Herping in SW Washington

Hey,

Does anyone have an recommendations for places to herp near Portland, OR? I am hoping to look around the gorge area.

Thanks!

HendersonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Herping in SW Washington

People probably won't post locations to someone new, but if you poke around the site you can learn about the kind of habitat to look for.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018   #3
matamander

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: matamander has shown reliable knowledge

Agreed with Otterwoman, but the whole Pacific coast is gorgeous. I have more experience with Northern Cali and the Olympic Peninsula, but any moist forests with creeks/seeps are a sure bet, but it also depends what you are looking for. A great resource, especially for habitat ideas, is californiaherps.com. Although this site focuses on herps found in Cali, there are many similar species or subspecies that occur more north along the coast that would utilize similar habitat.

matamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018   #4
HendersonA

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
People probably won't post locations to someone new, but if you poke around the site you can learn about the kind of habitat to look for.
Thanks - I'll check out the site some more!

Old 28th December 2018   #5
HendersonA

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamander View Post
Agreed with Otterwoman, but the whole Pacific coast is gorgeous. I have more experience with Northern Cali and the Olympic Peninsula, but any moist forests with creeks/seeps are a sure bet, but it also depends what you are looking for. A great resource, especially for habitat ideas, is californiaherps.com. Although this site focuses on herps found in Cali, there are many similar species or subspecies that occur more north along the coast that would utilize similar habitat.
I'll give it a look! I am not looking for anything in particular. I think any newt would be cool but I am open to anything since I am just starting my herping hobby.