Chiller, pump and filter

Opumilio

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Hello!

This is a really naive question from a newbie owner.
I have an adult male that I adopted from a friend recently.

I recently managed to borrow a idle chiller from my lab for at least the coming summer.
(perks of being a researcher in an amphibian lab)

It’s an Aqua Euro 1/4hp, a giant overkill for my 20 gal tank.
(may upgrade to a larger tank later and get my own chiller, but don’t have the money now...)
I have a basic hang-on filter that came with the tank.
I am now shopping for a pump/filter pump that could go with the borrowed chiller.

So the question is, should I get a pump to hook up to the chiller, and keep the filter?
Or should I get a pump that also filters (is there a product like that?)
Any recommended product? ( I’m in the US)

Or would you recommend just invest in a canister filter?
Do you still need a pump for it?
Also, probably an overkill again for my tiny 20 gal...

Thank you!

Attachments

• 62893BD2-6A27-4DFF-886D-8CA0EFA8FCF3.jpg
    62893BD2-6A27-4DFF-886D-8CA0EFA8FCF3.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 4A8D4F58-52E8-4DC8-921C-4B727ACD511F.jpg
    4A8D4F58-52E8-4DC8-921C-4B727ACD511F.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 140
If you want to keep your HOB filter then you'll need a pump that matches the chiller. I'm not well versed in the details but you can look up a manual for the chiller you have and it should have a pump guide. It'll probably be in litres or gallon per hour. You may need to buffer the output if the flow is high.
The downside to using a pump is that unless you have a sump the pump will heat up the tank slightly, so the chiller will need to be on for longer/more frequently. There may be external pumps but I am not familiar with them.
The easiest thing is an external canister filter. It's got the pump attached to it (most of the time). I have a basic set up at the moment for my juveniles using a Sunsun brand canister filter attached to my chiller, as well as a sponge filter. Sunsun is cheap, but some don't come with pumps so make sure to check. Mine is one of the smaller models but it's doing the job well and is super quiet.
Hope that helps :)

Thank you!

I looked Sunsun canister filter up and it is surprisingly non-expensive compared to the other brands!

Ordered one and looking forward to setting up!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back