Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Caudata.org...

David Tobler

Reaction score
I'm new here, just wanted to share some pictures from the field.

Newt and salamander season is picking up here in the central valley of California. I should have some updated and better pictures of A. californiense soon. In the meantime, an old pic (resized way too at some point) of a cali tiger:

tigerfacepsfix.jpg

This next one is of one of our most attractive salamanders in the Sierra Nevadas, Ensatina eschscholtzii platensis. It's a very old pic from my old camera. My goal this year is to locate and photograph the platensis x xanthoptica hybrid that occurs naturally in my area.

sierranevadaensatina.jpg

I'm a big Ambystoma fan. Finding Ambystoma macrodactylum sigillatum in the northern portion of the sierras, was a real treat.

ambystomamacrodactylumsigilatum.jpg

Here's one of my better Sierra Newt - Taricha torosa sierrae shots. You could easly find 200+ sierra newts in one afternoon during the month of March. That's if you cared that much to see that many....

calinewtfresno.jpg

Oh, and a little bit of fun with Fire-Bellied Newts....

newtart.jpg

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing those wonderful photos. I am curious about the California tigers - how does one go about legally photographing them - do you need a permit and if so how is one acquired?

David Tobler

Reaction score
Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing those wonderful photos. I am curious about the California tigers - how does one go about legally photographing them - do you need a permit and if so how is one acquired?

Legally, you're not even supposed to search/hunt for the CTS, by definition of "take" under the Federal Endangered Species Act. Let alone touch one, or pose it for a picture!

Permits are issued by CA Fish and Game to anyone conducting surveys on the CTS. Though, it's not JUST anyone who gets these permits. There are a few organizations and corporations that conduct survey's on the CTS.

I just happen to know a few people that have such permits.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dream of having that belly shot printed on wallpaper and applied all over my house. I suppose I have strange ideas about interior decorating. Terrific pictures, thanks for sharing!

David Tobler

Reaction score
I dream of having that belly shot printed on wallpaper and applied all over my house. I suppose I have strange ideas about interior decorating. Terrific pictures, thanks for sharing!

Hahaha...maybe you do! Thanks for the compliment.

David Tobler

Reaction score
Your pictures are awesome. You should definately enter the photo competition.

Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. Other than my Sierra Newt shot and some Southern Long-Toed Salamander shots, I really don't have many other decent Caudata pics. I've focused primarly on snake photography, though this past year I've leaned towards taking pics of amphibians.

Here's a couple OT frog and toad pics:

azureus11608.jpg

whitestreefrog112107.jpg

frogsandwich.jpg

surinametreefrog1.jpg

firebellytoad.jpg

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Haha @ tomato frog! Excellent! (although I hope no frogs were harmed in the making).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes but where's the beef?

tdimler

Reaction score
David---Great to see you posting here...I've seen your posts elsewhere. Your photography is really nice....what is your flash setup like?

Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!