Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Axolotl Stuffed Animals & Plush- Some of my Crafts!

Kms124

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Seeing I am overly obsessed with Axolotls (and salamanders in general), about two years ago I started to make stuffed animals- axolotls in particular after seeing no stuffed axolotls out there. I have made everything from a 4 inch axolotl magnet buddy all the way up to a 5 ft axolotl body pillow. I was not sure if there was even an area to post this, and if this type of axolotl work is acceptable in the gallery area (if not- feel free to delete/move this posting). Either way I could not think of a better place to post my axolotl crafts! Note: I'm not sure if it is my monitor or what- but many of the photos seem to be stretched. If this is the case just refer to all the photos on my Caudata Craft Gallery!

I currently sew axolotls for fun, as gifts, for crafting events & shows and also for a (pending) non-profit called Lotllove- which made it possible to bring an axolotl into my life, who I adore dearly (my axie's name is Vicious- I have an earlier posting with some photos). With any axolotl-based item purchased, a portion of that purchase is donated towards the non profit to help make other axolotl-lovers dreams come true, as well as providing educational materials to schools, museums and events (which I have also done some design/ illustration work for). So that was a big jump start to my love for sewing at the level I have been, and seeing now I have my own axolotl thanks to the organization- I would like to share that with others who feel the same way- adoring a creature that so few people seem to know about and showing my support in any way that I can. Some of these photos posted are axolotl prototypes, for-fun crafts and commissions/ sales for adoring axolotl owners and/or people who simply love axolotls and their uniqueness. I have all types of shades and colors of materials seeing often many little ones enjoy my crafts- so by having all these colors and options- it allows people to have their own unique-axolotl custom to them.

I use only the finest quality materials in my products- and the brand I am re-creating (which I have been using for about 9 years now- Tylonproducts which is in the process of being re-done) is an American based company focused on unique crafts & goods (all of the materials used from are from either local businesses and/or American companies which is exciting I get to work with many local vendors and supporters across the country and also be affiliated with them). I include the logo & name on all of my photos due to the fact I have had some issues in the past where people were circulating my items and images- not knowing who the creator was or where the items were generated from, posting them all over. The logo is there to protect my work. I now have fabric labels I am adding as well as the hang tags (which I have now) which showcases the warnings associated with stuffed animals and magnets. I have tons more axolotl photos & designs on my website and on my craft gallery right here on Caudata! I even have some tutorials on my own site for those interested in creating their own tags and patterns.

First up- the Axolotl body pillows.
The original one (green) I wanted for my college dorm. I found some left over green fabric I never used and decided I would sew up my own body pillow. My little cousin loved it so much- he requested he wanted a blue one, so I made him his very own blue axolotl which has an adorable pastel pattern under the belly. After seeing all of these giant axolotls and my website- my dentist decided he wanted one as well- so I made him up a lavender and brown one to match his office.

axolotl_body_pillows.jpg

Second- Axolotl Beanies (filled with pellets & stuffing)
My goal was to create smaller axolotls for kids and everyone who wanted something smaller than a giant body pillow or my usual 22-24 inch axolotls I used to make. So I created various prototypes and concepts for a smaller, soft and squishy, axolotl that could pose and everything- great for snuggling or display. These sizes range from 8 inch- 19 inch.

axolotlbeanie.jpg

miniaxolotlplush_craftster.jpg

sittingaxolotl_craftster.jpg

axolotl_transparent_craftster.png

19_inch_axolotl.jpg

axieplushies_redo.jpg

giantvivious_plush.jpg

Third- My try at an Axolotl Pillow Pet Style
I personally love the concept of a pillow pet. I loved it so much I wanted to give it my own spin- and make an axolotl with some left over fabric I found. Instead of velcro I added a fabric tie at the bottom. This was more of a fun-project; seeing the legality concerns I would never intend on selling something so similar. This one by far seems to be the most "popular" style I posted online for some reason or another.

axolotlpillowpet.jpg

Lastly- Magnet Buddies
After talking with fellow Lotllove supporters and the founder herself, the concept of a magnet buddy was just too great to pass up. These are 4 inch little plush animals hand-sewn with magnets in their hands so they can grab and stick to things! I made a couple axolotls (Vicious, my axolotl and the Lotllove mascot axolotl) as well as a few salamanders seeing I adore salamanders as well. So below is Vicious and Muffin (my axolotl and tiger salamander), Lotllove mascot, a spotted salamander and marbled salamander which were gifts to friends.

muffinandvicious_craftster.jpg

lotllove_craftster.jpg

spottedsalamander_craftster.jpg

marblesalamander_craftster.jpg

Anyways- I hope you all enjoy my crafts! I enjoy making them, and I enjoy even more the happiness they bring to those who one is given to - especially to those who cannot have an axolotl. I am always trying out new patterns, new colors and materials and to top it off- I have met some incredible people since. I am working on some keychain designs as well, and have a lot more axolotl-based ideas I would like to work with eventually.

Feel free to post your own axolotl-ideas, colors, poses, etc! I am always looking for different colors and concepts to try out. I have some brand new colors and materials arriving soon- and am very excited to try out the new concepts I have planned. For the larger axolotls I make- I plan on eventually adding wire (which I currently have) into the gills to make them bendable and pose-able.

Thank you everyone for viewing!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!