Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The old and the new

Ronwel1

Reaction score
The one in front is my first axie, she's around 3 now. Behind her is one I picked up a couple of months ago. The three year old was in pretty rough shape when I got her, basically no gills, no toes and several chunks missing from her tail. Her toes grew back, but I think this is as good as its going to get for her gills, also her tail is still irregular... still my favorite though, by far the most personable.

Attachments

• 20150929_114019.jpg
    20150929_114019.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 239

Slongo

Reaction score
They look good. I have found that the axies I rescued always have the most personality. Are all those plants fake?

Ronwel1

Reaction score
Yeah the plants are fake, they're almost like "silk" flowers in texture, so they're incredibly soft. I went with them because I read a few articles saying that axolotls don't really like bright light, which obviously would be an issue for most live plants. Of course, the ol intraweb is full of contradiction. :confused:

Zs Axolotls

Reaction score
I had the same issue, but I took the short gilled axo and put her in her own tank with daily water changes for two weeks and it helped with her gills a lottt!!
If you have time, give that a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronwel1

Reaction score
Believe it or not, her gills are much better than they were (when I first got her she literally had none). She spent her first few months alone, until I finally gave in and picked up another. It's going to bother some people when I say this... but 20% weekly water changes is as far as I go. I use a big canister filter full of all kinds of bio balls, ceramics, scrubbers and a ton of ammocarb. I extended the spray bar across the whole back of the tank, and drilled three times as many holes to eliminate current.

NidiaNz

Reaction score
I have a girl that had no gills when I got her, the nubs are growing verrrrrrrry slowly, I really don't think they are going to grow back much more, the feathery parts are growing nicely though, she looks very odd.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1