Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gills curled forward on one side - pls help

kumamon

Reaction score
Hiya!

Today when I got home from school I noticed something a little odd with my axie - one side of his gills were curled completely forward and seem to be pale, while the other side sat flat like normal and were normal colour. After four hours they are still in this state. I haven't seen anything posted like this but I could be wrong. If I recall correctly his gills where completely fine when I left for school this morning. He doesn't seem stressed, he ate not to long ago, he's walking around and doing everything he normally does.
I tested parameters and they are perfectly fine. I don't want to leave it in case it is something bad.
Please help!

I'll try attach a photo...

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 381

kumamon

Reaction score
UPDATE: the top gill that is the most curved has turned a white colour at the tip. I'm terrified, I have no idea what brought this on or how to fix it. I have aquarium salt on hand for things like this but I don't think I should salt bath him because I have no idea what is wrong.
Please, please, please help!!

Sufia

Reaction score
As stated with most threads/posts, curved gills are typically a stress-related indicator.

Have you gone through the usual motions with checking the temperature (particularly important for QLD), water parameters, current and the likes?

kumamon

Reaction score
All parameters are perfect, water current is very little, temperature is about 19/20 C. He doesn't seem stressed - he's still eating and active. I have no idea what could have caused it, as far as I know nothing has changed in the tank. He seems happy so maybe it's not too bad...
Thank you for replying

smaxolotl

Reaction score
All parameters are perfect, water current is very little, temperature is about 19/20 C. He doesn't seem stressed - he's still eating and active. I have no idea what could have caused it, as far as I know nothing has changed in the tank. He seems happy so maybe it's not too bad...
Thank you for replying

I've heard white gills being a number of things from disuse to fungus. I would probably just keep an eye on it for now if he were mine.

Does it look any different after some movement or eating? Some people find their axie may just need to get some blood pumping throughout their system to normalize.

Could it have gotten caught or pinched by a tank decoration somehow?

The level of light can also be a stressor for axolotls. Something to consider could be amount of direct light on the tank, appropriate number of hides., etc. Or even exposure to noise, if the tank is by a high traffic area of a building or vibrations from music are constantly present, that sort of thing can cause much stress, and I don't often see it addressed.

Good luck with him, hopefully it's a fluke and sorts itself out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!