Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A No Lid Enclosure?

seandelevan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas that would like to share about to have a tank without a lid? I have a 40 gallon breeder with a pair of Cynops pyrrhogasters. Right now I have one big screen that I have to annoyingly remove if I want to do anything inside the tank. Ive looked at hinged ones and they are pricey. Is there something I can do around the edges of the tank to prevent escapes? Thanks!

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I have made something for my newts that seems to work. You need the aquarium design with the plastic on top having an extrusion inside the tank that serves as sort of a ledge- most newer aquariums have this. Using straight 1/2" x 1" poplar, I made a frame that fits precisely inside the aquarium, and rests on the ridge. I then used 1" x 4" boards plexiglass would also work), and screwed them onto the poplar sticks. This in essence made a wooden cover, that is open in the center. This gives access for feeding and light maintenance, and a flourescent light can be laid over the top. I put additional wood strips under the light, to raise it up for heat dissipation. I also made a small notch in the poplar stick to allow for an airline, which then remains in place when the top is removed.
Essentially, you can access it without removing the lid. Unless you have salamanders that can crawl upside down under the 4" boards, it is escape proof.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!