Illness/Sickness: Damaged slime coat or bad fungus infection?

kumamon

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chloe
Hello!
I've been treating my axolotl for a fungus infection (salt baths 10mins twice daily). Now I'm thinking his slime coat is damaged. I feel so stupid.

It looks like fungus spores are growing all over him and (never seeing a fungus infection or slime coat damage) I instantly thought it was a fungus infection - or I believe to start with it was. I thought I was seeing no improvement, but possibly he has slime coat damage from incorrect treatment?

His skin is peeling (if it isn't a fungus) and it no longer slimy at all, it's very dry. It took me way to long to notice. Should I stop salt baths and see if anything settles, or go right into tea baths? If so how would I do this?

I've attached a photo to see if anyone can decipher if he has a fungul infection or slime coat damage.

He is currently in the fridge.

Thank you for any help,
- Chloe

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1066.jpg
    IMG_1066.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 293
Can you take him to a vet? I don't keep Axies and I have no real advice. Maybe he needs an antifungal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back