Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which other Mole Salamander species breeds on land except of A.opacum?

M

markus

Hi all,
Regarding most sources, A.opacum is the only Ambystoma species that mates and lays eggs on land. But according to Petranka, 1998, another species (not mentioned by him, unfort.) of Ambystoma has the same ability. Does anyone know which one it is?

D

dane

I've never heard of another Ambystoma doing this, I know multiple Plethodontids or lungless sals do

J

john

Markus

A. Opacum lays eggs in depressions that fill with seasonal pools so it's sort of a misnomer to say they lay eggs on land. Shortly after they lay their eggs, fall rains cover them. I'd reckon in many case, their breeding locations are already filled with water when they arrive but I've never had the fortune of observing an opacum breeding migration. I also can't think of any other Ambystomid that does anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cameron

I don't think another does either. Also adding onto what John said they usually choose moist or wet areas of dry pools to lay their eggs so that they won't get too dry.

P

pierson

Ambystoma cingulatum is probably the other species Petranka was referring to. Eggs have been found in moist grass clumps, at the entrances to crayfish burrows, and attached to grass stems above standing water. I'm still not convinced that this species has a truly terrestrial mode of reproduction as they lack the protective layer on their eggs that opacum possess.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!