Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Post pictures of your axolotl setups

M

miksu

There really CAN'T be anything harmful in legos. They're just pieces of plastic- just like, say, parts of the filter inside your axolotl aquarium at this present moment mostly likely are.

K

katy

miksu, there are different types of plastics. some are designed to be underwater constantly, like filter plastics. some are designed to be played with by kids, not to go in an aquarium. some can withstand really high temperatures, or be put in microwaves, some would melt.

so it's entirely possible that something could go wrong. i'm not saying it would - i've never experimented with it, and as kaysie says, it works fine for her.

C

carl

if i am planting plants in my tank how deep does the sand have to be to help he roots and growth of plant

K

katy

it depends on the plant. some don't need to be rooted to grow, they'll grow even if floating.

for those that need to be rooted to grow, i have about 3cm of sand and some river stones piled around the plants to keep them down. sometimes i need to put an ornament on them too, because axolotls tend to uproot plants really easily!

L

leighton

Kaysie wrote:
"Do you know how many little kids put legos in their mouth each year?"

More than get them back out the other end, I'll bet. ;)

A

amira

Is it possible to use an undergravel filter with aquarium sand? If so, how fine can the sand be? Also, does anyone know how to treat worms in axolotls?
Can someone tell me how to set up an aquarium properly from the beginning to minimise future problems with diseases?

L

leah

Wait for the experts here to confirm this one, but I'd try either Discomed or Pipzine (I think it's Aquarium Pharmaceuticals who makes these) for the worms/internal parasites. I've used both treatments successfully with super-sensitive fish like puffers, so I see no reason not to try it with an axolotl. With both, the meds come in small capsules that you break open and dissolve in an ounce of water. You then soak their food in the solution and feed. I think Discomed is the more effective/potent of the two meds, but I've had fish who wouldn't touch Discomed-soaked food. For those, the Pipzine did the trick, so you might want to try that one first.

For setting up your aquarium, you'll need to do some research on "cycling" your tank- establishing a healthy population of nitrifying bacteria, to help break down and process waste products in the water. Cycling the tank takes time, but your animals will benefit from the job well done.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwsubwebindex.htm

Those links should help get you started. Sorry I can't help with the undergravel filter question, I've never tried one before. I'm sure someone else will have an answer though!

E

eric

An undergravel filter, as suggested by the name, works with gravel. Water is sucked down through the gravel and any particles are trapped there for you to vacuum up at your next water change. In the gravel and under the filter plate live the nitrifying bacteria Leah mentioned. If sand were to be used there wouldn't be any gaps for the water to flow through, and it would fall through the holes in the filter plate, really just leaving it buried and not sucking anything through at all.

C

cynthia

Amira - I was reading on the different types of sand for the aquarium last night. Everything I saw said you are not supposed to use sand with an undergravel filter.

I also read that some of the sands are made from ground glass hence sharp and can cut your hand just stirring it. That would tear a poor axolotl up. So use caution when selecting a sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!