Switching substrates from pebbles to sand!!!

Abberzoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Abberzoo
Cloudy Water!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just switched my substrate from pebbles to fine marine sand and now two hours later, the water is still very cloudy! What can I do?:errr:
For the first 45min. I had my filter on to try to clear it up which it did a little. Then I added another filter to maybe speed up the process and skimmed as much of the bubbly film off the top of the water. I just turned both filters off thinking they were keeping everything stirred up, but I haven't seen much change!
What can I do?
Is it ok to put my Axis back in?

Last edited:
Well, I'm geussing you throughly cleaned it before putting it in, and My water stayed cloudy when I switched mine aswell but it settled after awhile. When you say marine sand I hope you don't mean as in sand for marine aquariams (the sand that has salt additives). But I would just let it settle in less someone else can shed some light as I'm no expert.

Hi Aberzoo,

It is not ok to put your axies back in the tank.

Marine sand is not a suitable substrate for axolotls. Axolotls are not Marine animals although they are aquatic. Marine sand contains things that will cause you and your axies on going hassles.

You will need to remove all the sand. The sand you need is playsand or pool filter sand, some petshops sell coloured sand as well.

I asked the people at PetCo before I bought it!
I told them that I had a freshwater tank and asked if I could use this sand... They told me it would be fine!:angry:
The bag says only this... "Nature's Ocean premium marine substrates 100% natural-from the ocean to you!!!"

There are only a few constants in the universe. Hydrogen, stupidity, and bad advice from Petco. They are nice enough folks but they tend not to be hobbiests but rather retail sales folks that never give good advice. Some of the things I have overheard have shocked me.

There are some folks on this list who are truly experts and will take the time to help you with all your questions. My best recommendation is to listen.

I am so PISSED!!!!!!
I lost my other baby, Legolas today and I think it was partially do to the sand not being the correct type!
I am going to call and raise HELL!
They damn well better at least give me my money back!!!!!
Thank you all for your help!
So, play sand will work...what other kinds are there?
I would like something light in color that looks like beach sand.

Abberzoo,

I can understand your frustration matey but bottom line is: pet stores are a 'no-go zone' for advice regarding axolotls :nono:

I'm just having a stab in the dark here, but did you happen to tell the pet store that you wanted sand that is similar in appearance to beach sand? Because I have a feeling that's why they gave you marine sand. Nonetheless, that's another reason why pet stores are ignorant at best.

Play sand is your best bet because it's specifically designed for the safety of children, thus it will be sterile (i.e. contain little/no pathogens and other unholy bacteria that can harm your axolotl).

I can empathise with your want to have an aesthetically pleasing tank, but if you decide to use something similar to beach sand, I'm afraid your choices are narrowed down to beach/marine sand. Beach sand is just as bad as marine sand (for axolotls anyway) because it contains crushed sea shells, which will inevitably leek out carbonates therefore raising your pH.

Jay.

Play sand is ideal, just make sure you rinse it thoroughly to remove as much dirt as you can.

Thank you all for the advice!
I called Petco about the bad advice and the manager didn't seem to care! He also said that in order to get my money back, I would have to scoop all the sand out of my tank into a plastic bag to return it! It makes me so livid that he didn't give a **** about the fact that one of his employees gave me bad advise, which lead to the death of Legolas!!!:angry:

I have since bought play sand, rinsed it and put it in with no more cloudy water! I am waiting to put Stitch back in until his fungal infection is better. Plus it is easier to feed him his worms in a small acrylic tank with no substrate. It is also easier to keep an eye on how much he eats and poops.

I found this on the petco website, I would really give the number a call.

We encourage you to bring any concern or feedback that you may have regarding your local PETCO store with the store's General Manager. Our store management team will be more than happy to personally assist you with your concerns. If you have already spoken with your local store's management team about your concerns and would like further assistance with your feedback, please call our Customer Relations team at 888-824-7257. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks for the info, I think I will give them a call tomorrow!
Now I have another question...
I put the new sand in last night and after filling the tank with water, I was surprised to find it was pretty clear. Well, as the hours have gone by today, it is getting cloudier and cloudier, what's going on? Am I doing something wrong? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::mad::confused:

Your tank is probably going through a mini-cycle. Do you have your filter running?

Yes, my filter is running!
I added a second filter for a couple hours yesterday to see if that would help, but it didn't.
What is a mini-cycle?:confused:

A mini-cycle happens when you take an established tank (one with good bacteria populations and an adequate biological cycle), and you remove substrate or clean the tank heavily. This causes your bacteria population to need to readjust. This is assuming your tank is cycled and you have animals in the tank.

Alternately, is your filter stirring up the sand? What kind of filter are you using?

I am currently using an Elite submersible filter, but have heard good things about Fluval and was thinking of switching.

trhis ahppend to me, but not with sand, all i can suggest is to do a 20% water change every other day an it hsould clear the matter up

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back