Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Golden Mantella's

tony

Reaction score
Hi, hope you like them picked the five up today
000_1078.jpg

000_1077.jpg

benw

Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Very nice, they look very at home in your natural set up.

I wish you every success with them.

Ben

marco

Reaction score
Nice animals, my friend keeps a group of nine in a 4 foot planted set up. these frogs are brilliant for big planted enclosures, there colours really show them off.

spiny tails

Reaction score
very nice, in the process of planning a set up for some of these, stunning frogs, good luck with them

T

tylototriton

Gorgeous animals and great setup too. Best of Luck with them. You don't see them over here as much anymore.

Alex

bobberly1

Reaction score
I think its because of collection laws. That really isn't a bad thing, but someone needs to get these guys breedin'!

T

tylototriton

There are a couple of breeders on dendroboard.com that have them for sale occasionally.

Alex

David Tobler

Reaction score
I've gotten a recent crash course introduction into the breeding of Golden Mantellas, and the rearing of tadpoles. We're currenty breeding a group of 4.2 in a 10 gallon tank. The cage is misted 5 times a day, each misting lasts approx. 15mins. The males are seen combating, and heard calling on a regular basis. The male's call is short and similar to other Mantella species, which sounds more like a cricket, rather than a frog. The females get noticeably larger and swollen with eggs prior to deposition. Egg laying sites have been in the form of small, "Gladware" disposible tupperware containers filled with spagnum moss, with half the lid cut off. The frogs do prefer a darker, secluded hide to lay the eggs. We've noticed that once we see a few males guarding a nesting site, it's almost a garuntee the female has deposited a rather large mass (50 to 60 eggs) in the container. The eggs develop rather quickly, and usually start hatching with 7 to 10 days. A little trick on rearing tadpoles... keep them dark! They are extremely sensitive to light! We couldn't figure out why the tadpoles weren't doing well in the first batch until we read about the lighting. As soon as the first batch was kept dark, they litterally took off like weeds! It's been roughly two months since the first mass was laid, the back legs are fully developed and the front leg buds seem to be forming. Because of their small size and rather quick development, a little extra attention is needed with the eggs and tadpoles, compaired to that of their distant central/south american relatives. Good luck with breeding!

tony

Reaction score
Has anyone got a calling clip of the males please or where i can find one.

bobberly1

Reaction score
Do you mist them by hand?! Few people I know have more than an hour a day to alot to frog misting.

T

tylototriton

This thread is offering quite a bit of insight. I only wish I could keep amphibians here at school. David, that video was great, where do you work?

tony

Reaction score
found two lots of eggs tonight will let you all know how they get on.

Shadow

Reaction score
Wow I thought these guys were really rare where only specialized people only know the best locations to find them? Either way they're nice!

Do they do hand waving gesture?

David Tobler

Reaction score
A little update on the Golden Mantella breeding and rearing of the tadpoles and young:

Our first group of morphs came out of the water with SLS, probably due to the delayed development (lighting issue) early on. I'm now raising a 2nd wave of froglets that are doing very well. They're are nearly 2 months out of the water now, and feeding vigirously on springtails. I've noticed the best way to feed these little frogs is to keep them on a thin layer of colored aquarium gravel (to best view the frogs) and have the water level nearly to the top of the layer gravel. This allows the frogs to perch upon the gravel and feed on the floating springtails. The tiny frogs have seemed to double in body size and weight since emerging from the water, and have taken on an overall copper color.

I'll try to get some pictures posted sometime..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1