The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 14th June 2013   #1
andykazam

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: andykazam is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cheap, small worm farm?

Hi guys, I have two wild types in a 120l (30 USG) tank and I'm feeding them 1 frozen cube of bloodworms between then once a day in a feeding jar. Problem is, they nip at each other, only when food is around, as I've heard wild-types are prone to doing, and I'm worried that one might get seriously hurt, so I'm looking to move them on to worms.

I'm a recently graduated student living back home with his parents but I would like a worm farm to keep a steady supply of food. Would something cheap like this be any use at all?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interplay-UK...ords=worm+farm

Thanks!

andykazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #2
Krispen
(Krispen)

Nationality:
Rep: Krispen has shown reliable knowledge

Hi Andy-
I had (and still have) an indoor compost bin with red wigglers. I got very excited when I got my axies thinking they would live them- unfortunately from what I've read these types can have a bitter taste. Maybe make sure of the types of worms your axie likes before going through the process of farming!😄

Krispen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Cheap, small worm farm?

I suspect that the one shown in the ad is too small. Can you obtain two buckets? Best if one has a lid and you can drill some small holes in the bottom of it. Then you just need some bedding (shredded paper) kitchen scraps and worms.

Old 14th June 2013   #4
K3teach

Nationality:
Rep: K3teach is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same thought and found these instructions online to make my own. Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!. It may be worth a try. Let me know how it goes if you use something like this. I would be curious to know how it works in real life.

K3teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #5
pookiewn

Nationality:
Rep: pookiewn has shown reliable knowledgepookiewn has shown reliable knowledge

It's worth asking for a wormery on your local freecycle, I got mine from there and have seen a couple more have also seen cheap ones on eBay.

pookiewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #6
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You can get worms and everything else you need from Buy Worms for Fishing Bait and Composting | Worms Direct

Not too expensive, and if you get mixed sizes you can feed the smaller ones and leave the bigger ones to breed.

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #7
andykazam

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
I suspect that the one shown in the ad is too small. Can you obtain two buckets? Best if one has a lid and you can drill some small holes in the bottom of it. Then you just need some bedding (shredded paper) kitchen scraps and worms.
Thanks for all your replies!

That probably sounds like the best way. Otherwise, I'll just buy a batch and store them for a while. 30 will probably last me a few weeks, where is best to store them? In the fridge?

Old 14th June 2013   #8
knyptozoologist

Nationality:
Rep: knyptozoologist has started on the right path

The bait worms I bought came in a delicup and I just keep them in the fridge. Haven't had any escape yet. This is after trying to start a worm farm, threw maybe...40 worms in there, used less than 20 before I ran out, so they either cannibalized each other or found a way to escape :/

knyptozoologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013   #9
andykazam

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyptozoologist View Post
The bait worms I bought came in a delicup and I just keep them in the fridge. Haven't had any escape yet. This is after trying to start a worm farm, threw maybe...40 worms in there, used less than 20 before I ran out, so they either cannibalized each other or found a way to escape :/

So it's literally just a case of ordering some and keeping them in the fridge? I can get 30 for about 5 so it's not a huge expense as long as they last.

Old 17th June 2013   #10
Gailgirl

Nationality:
Rep: Gailgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep! Just put them in a not freezing part of the fridge, without too much of a swing in temp (like not the door, i put mine right in front because the back of my fridge freezes sometimes). I don't do anything at all, just leave them in the container them come in, 30 dendrobaenas will last me a few weeks, and I haven't had one die. I also farm red wigglers (e. fetida), and was worried my girls wouldn't like them, but they snap them right up. It only took them a day to get used to them.

Gailgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013   #11
pookiewn

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykazam View Post
So it's literally just a case of ordering some and keeping them in the fridge? I can get 30 for about 5 so it's not a huge expense as long as they last.
Sounds rather expensive, I pay 1.20 for the same amount. Have you looked online and getting them delivered?

Old 17th June 2013   #12
andykazam

Nationality:

Really? I was looking at Worms - Online Shop, Lobworms, Dendrobaena Worms, Earthworms for Sale

That's 5 including delivery. I do have a bait shop near me though, I've been meaning to check it out.

Old 18th June 2013   #13
pookiewn

Nationality:

I get mine from Surrey reptiles, they order them in for me. Worth a look there if your local, they've got loads of aquatic stuff for a lot less than other shops.

Old 19th June 2013   #14
andykazam

Nationality:

I'm based in North London so it's a bit out of my way, I'll check out the bait shop and then compare with online delivery prices

Tags
farm, feeding, food, wild-type, worm