Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Substrates

Kyle G

Reaction score
I am planning on getting some axolotls in the next couple weeks. I do not know what type of substrate is best, basically all i know is that it does not need to be gravel. I was thinking maybe do a mixture of black and white sand. What type of sands do you recommend? Thanks :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sand should be smooth grain - playsand is ideal, but building sand isn't. Many aquarium sands are also 'rough' in terms of profile.

I have either sand embedded in silicone or bare bottom tanks i have to agree that substrate of any kind is a pain to keep clean for axies.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Its not bad at all with sand. It may get a little bit sucked up the siphon or baster but it looks visually pleasing over barebottom. My axolotls liek to dig little holes too its super cute. As long as you siphon it correctly as well as occassionally stirring it up to prevent anerobic gases building up, then its pretty good. Just makle sure your axolotls are over 5" before adding sand as it can cause impaction in small axolotls.

Kyle G

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about the impaction pre 5" because i was unaware of that. Hayley, what kind of sand do you recommend? the playsand like the people above or something else?

HayleyK

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you have in America. Any play sand or aquarium sand, preferably one that's more smooth edged.

Bette

Reaction score
Bare bottom is the easiest to keep clean by far. If you want to go the sand route, I recommend fine grain pool filter sand.

layna

Reaction score
The problem with bare bottomed tanks is planting plants, there is nothing to set them in. Another problem i find is that all the gunk is very visible sitting on the bottom of the tank, sand is prettier and you can plant your plants in it :happy:

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
I found sand in my 10-25gallon tanks was a pain to keep clean, but after two weeks of my 125gallon tank being setup i decided to try sand again, i feel like it may be easier to keep clean with such space and whatnot. I hope i am right

keiko

Reaction score
I have sand in my 240 litre tank. I think it looks a lot better than bare bottom, axies like it and you can plant stuff in it. I use the kind of sand they use in sand-blasting, it's super soft and smooth (and cheap). I don't think it's particularly hard or time consuming to keep it clean. I mean you have to siphon/ vacuum all the wastes etc from the bottom anyway. Yes, you might siphon out some of the sand too but not that much if you do it right and you can just add more sand if needed every now and then.

One tip though. Don't put too much sand in there. That way you won't get the anaerobic gases that easily. I put in maybe ½ or 1 inch when I was setting up my tank and it has been enough. I also poke around in the sand with my turkey baster every time I clean something so I never have to go through all the sand at once.

charleybambino

Reaction score
I agree sand looks prettier...but axolotls are so messy that at least with bare bottom you can syphon up all of it. I anchor plants with large stones.......much bigger than the axi heads, which can then be moved for syphon in up gunk!

Gail24

Reaction score
i tried white sand in my tanks :( its coming out ..i need to clean the tanks, then i was going to put aquarium background on the bottom of the tank underneath so when i look in its a nice colour in stead of bare looking ..its so much easier to clean with no sand at all ,with the plants i tie them to they hides and i added a couple of large rocks to wedge my plants in with .

Sweetie

Reaction score
I agree with the two posters above. I too use large smooth river rocks to anchor my plants. I have a bare-bottom tank. If you want something visually pleasing, follow the suggestion of using one of those stick-on tank backgrounds on the floor of the tank. There are heaps of different designs and some of them would look fine on the floor.
If you do use sand, you can minimise the risk of axies swallowing sand by feeding them from above, training them to take earthworms from your hand or being dropped to them, or using a feeding dish. Even adult axies will root around in the sand for food and can swallow quite a lot of it.

Skudo09

Reaction score
I have sand in my 4 foot tank and the only thing I would change is the colour (it is a bit dark for my liking). It is all personal preference really and what works best for you. I think sand probably requires a bit more patience to keep clean but I like the way it looks and don't really want a bare bottom tank. As Sweetie mentioned, the tank backgrounds would be a good option. A member on here (can't remember who now) used a 3D background (siliconed down) as a floor and that looked pretty good and something I would consider myself if I ever decide I don't like sand anymore.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1