The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 13th September 2005   #1
rebecca

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi, My Axi Sharron is a white type but over the last few weeks, a large black/dark freckle has appeared on her head. It looks like her skin has discoloured, but I don't thing its an infection. The mark looks like the ones on my other axi Ozzy (a wild type). Do I need to worry?
Many thanks
Bex

Old 13th September 2005   #2
joćo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No what you have is one of theseClick the image to open in full size.

Old 13th September 2005   #3
joćo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Go to http://www.axolotl.org/ to learn a thing or two about axies, this site will help you understanding more of your axolotl colour.

Old 14th September 2005   #4
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

As Joao was saying, you probably have a leucistic axolotl. This type of coloration is normal. Most people describe it as freckles or dirt specks. Leucistics are axolotls whos melanophores (the 'dark' pigment cells) don't migrate off the neural crest during development. They're still THERE, they just haven't migrated around the body of the entire animal, and so are usually just expressed on the top of the head/back.

Tags
axolotl, growth, strange

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 15th August 2019, 07:01 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.