The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 27th September 2005   #1
hailz

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i was feeding the little ones this morning, and there was a moth fluttering around, i just ignored it thinking it would go away until it landed in one of my baby axie tanks and then one of my little guys just grabbed it and it was gone! it wasnt sprayed with anything, and my axie seems fine, swimming around begging for more food etc. I just wanted to know if its ok for them to eat moths? i figured these would prob be a natural food source but just wanted to see what u guys think?

Old 27th September 2005   #2
apryl

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i guess if they eat worms from the garden a moth will be fine.people feed them crickets too,not sure where to get them from in NZ tho...

Old 27th September 2005   #3
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have never fed mine moths, but I gave one of the offspring to a friend of mine, and he fed it moths, says he loves 'em. *shrug*

Old 27th September 2005   #4
rheann

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The only thing I can think of is that Moth's can carry Horse Hair worms. Horse Hair worms from what I know only attack insects. they stay in the insects host body, eating the reproductive organs of it's host, and then eventually causes it's host to become "thirsty". The Host seeks out a water source, at which time the horse hair worm exits the carrier and enters the water. I don't think they will cause harm to your Axies, but just something to know about insects lol. I have a trouble dealing with worms. Earth worms are fine, blood worms are fine, but anything else just gives me the creeps! Makes me think twice before picking up Crickets and moths lol Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th September 2005   #5
hailz

Gallery Images:
Comments:

lol, thanks guys,just wanted to double check. the funny thing is i didnt feed it to him on purpose, he just grabbed it before i could do anything,lol. He seems ok this morning and is still eating. i dunno if i could handle feeding crickets....they creep me out for some reasonClick the image to open in full size.

Old 7th October 2005   #6
vanessa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I feed mine moth babies (Meal worms) and he seemed happy eating them, I get a bit creeped out holding a live worm and I ended up using chopsticks to hold it out so my axolotl doesn't accidentially get my hand.

Old 8th October 2005   #7
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mealworms are beetle larvae. Waxworms are moth larvae. Mealworms creep me out too. They have strong jaws which may be dangerous to your axolotl, so I'd recommend crushing the head first before feeding.

Old 10th November 2005   #8
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hailz,
Just wondering, are the lil ones u refured to the ones in ur pix? Also I think that the moth wont hurt ur lil guies.

~John

Old 11th November 2005   #9
laura

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, you def. have to crush the heads. I have heard that they can eat the axie from the inside out, which noone wants - EVER! Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th November 2005   #10
jordan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That would be terrible!!!

Old 11th November 2005   #11
suzanne

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I actually decapitate my mealworms (yeh i know pretty horrid)...at the same time i use the tweezers to crush the remaining jaws so there is less chance of 'biting'.
Personally I'd prefer not to feed mealworms, but my guy loves em, and will only eat little amounts of everything else, so I feed them off and on as treats.
Stubborn so and so lol...Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th November 2005   #12
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well as long as they eat it and nothing happens cool..
~John

Tags
axie, baby, eats, moths

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd August 2019, 18:51 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.