The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 24th February 2008   #1
shantsdude
(shantsdude)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: shantsdude has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Stressed Axie

Can somebody help me? My two baby Axies are very stressed and i cannot figure out why. My bigger/stronger one of the two, has it's gills cured Way over, and the other is Much Much smaller then the big one. They are siblings too. Doing reading, I keep the water temperature 60-65 F, I keep the water lever low and I change the water daily. They are fed Bloodworms too. I have no clue on what to do. Does anybody have advice or helpful tips?

shantsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Are you keeping them together? What kind of hiding spaces do you have? What kind of lighting is there? What are your water parameters before and after changing the water? How low is the water level?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008   #3
shantsdude
(shantsdude)

Nationality:
Rep: shantsdude has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Are you keeping them together? What kind of hiding spaces do you have? What kind of lighting is there? What are your water parameters before and after changing the water? How low is the water level?
Well, I have them in a 10 Gal. and they are divided (since one is less then half the size of the other). I have some shelters in there so they can get away from the light. And I keep the light on at night time, and keep the real sunlight for them during the day time. I dont really know what you mean by the 'water parameters before and after changing the water' sorry . And as of right now i have the water level pretty low. They still have Plenty of room and everything, i just read that if they float to reduce the amount of water. I hope that answers it, just let me know if i need to be more spacific for you

Old 25th February 2008   #4
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Have you tested your tankwater at all for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? That's what Kaysie means by water parameters. If you have what are they? And how high exactly is your water level and how much percentage of water are you changing?

Are they actually floating? Axies do have a hangout floating mode, which is normal. And in some cases it is far better if the water level is higher (at least 3/4 level of the tank height rather than very low).

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Keeping the light on constantly is also a significant source of stress. Axolotls are nocturnal.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2008   #6
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Shantsdude,

Poor water quality will stress your axie and can lead to other nasties. Go to your pet shop and buy a test kit for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, or take a sample of water to the pet tore for testing.

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008   #7
shantsdude
(shantsdude)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Keeping the light on constantly is also a significant source of stress. Axolotls are nocturnal.

Well tonight is when i am going to clean their cage, so i'll add More water. I've noticed one thing: when their water gets too warm, and when i put a frozen bottle of water to cool it back down, that they tend to stay next to the water bottle.

Really? i've always heard that Axies tend to die when its dark? at least that's what my Biology Professor have told me

Old 26th February 2008   #8
Sarah
(Saspotato)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Saspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.orgSaspotato is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hmm tell your biology professor that axolotls are definitely nocturnal so much prefer the dark. Constant light source is stressful for axolotls and yours are in the light all the time at the moment. I would definitely turn off the light at night and not put them in direct sunlight.

How warm is too warm? If you are keeping your temperature between 60-65F and are using ice bottles to do so, make sure the temperature does not vary too much as again, that will cause stress.

Saspotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2008   #9
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Shants

Maybe you can direct your Biology Professor to www.axolotl.org Axolotls are definitely nocturnal. You'll probably find they settle down a bit by removing the light. It's ok to have them in a sunlit room - but across the room from a window (ie indirect light ) as opposed to directly by the window. You'll have to be careful in the summer months though!

And also its a tank not cage!

And you may find with the increased water level doesn't heat up as quick as a lower water level.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008   #10
shantsdude
(shantsdude)

Nationality:

Okay I will tell him about that. uhh 'too warm' would be 65+. I try to keep it in the range of low 60s.
well, tonight I just saw that one of my Axies lost the tip of it's tail! like it was in a fight or something, however, I am keeping them seperate just for that reason. It was only a few milimeters, but I dont know how bad that really is. Well now that I know to keep them in a darker environment, I think that'll help

Old 27th February 2008   #11
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Shantsdude,

Axies are known for their regenerative abilities so a nip in the tail is not a big deal. Keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure there are no infections.

Good Luck

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axie, stressed