The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th July 2008   #1
Miss JR

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Miss JR has started on the right path
Cool Color change in P.labiatus

Have noticed a significant colour change over the past 3/4 days in my paddle tail. 3 days ago I fed him a worm and a baby slug which he ate but he has not taken any of the food offered since. Normally he is fed frozen bloodworm but I decided to change the food to vary the diet.
Is this colour change anything to worry about?
I will go back to feeding frozen bloodworm tomorrow...
Here are really fuzzy pictures that show the colour change...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00067.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	3723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00057.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	3724  

Miss JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Color change in P.labiatus

What exactly has changed? Has it just become paler?

Worms and slugs are ideal newt food (assuming you didnít collect them from anywhere which may be contaminated with pesticides or pollution). Apart from the feeding is it behaving normally?

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2008   #3
audrey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: audrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Color change in P.labiatus

I would say that it is possible that the color change has to do with the newts weight. A meal of worms and slugs is probably a lot more filling to a large newt such as paddletail and as he/she puts on weight a bit his colorings may change. I find that newly aquired paddletails often times have very dark, drab coloring but as they eat more and get healthier their coloring becomes much brighter with a lot of variation at times.

audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, color, p.labiatus, plabiatus