Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newts

O

otis

<font face="arial,helvetica"></font><font color="000000">hey all, i am thinking about getting some fire belly newts, i have some expeience w/ newts. i have a pygmy marbled newt and a california newt. i've kept FBN, but that was when in was in kindergarden
smile6.gif
. i have an empty 20 gallon that i would put them in. could i keep african dwarf frogs, shrimp, or fish in with them? one more question; what is the best land/water set up, and if anybody has pics of their tanks that would be really helpful. i'm aiming for a really nice natural set up with moss, bromeilads, ferns, fig, and tons of aquatic plants. like a paludarium, but with more water. would i need a filter? if i had snails? </font>}

J

jennifer

And while you are at the site Cameron linked, read the FAQ and CFB caresheet. We're all happy to help with specific questions not answered there. Good luck, and thank you for asking questions before getting the newts
happy.gif

mike

Reaction score
i wouldn't keep dwarf frogs with FBN because dwarf frogs like to bite there arms off unless you have a paddle tail that can take care of it's self.

J

jeff

I'm having trouble with what you meant with your post Mike, but if you meant to say that it's okay to keep dwarf frogs with paddle tail newts, its not. Not unless you want those dwarf frogs becoming dinner for the paddle tails.

mike

Reaction score
I haven't had one problem at all with my dwarf frogs and paddle tails. maybe it's because i have the red belly kind but i don't know? i keep hearing people say that they'll eat them well not mine.

mike

Reaction score
i'm 100% sure there paddle tails. and i have had them for a couple months now and nothing has happend. the only thing they do is sometimes chase each other but that's it. my dwarf frogs have been fine. but like i said i don't recommend keeping dwarf frogs with regular chinese fire belly newts because the dwarf frogs will bite there legs off.

R

roy

I still agree with Jennifer, it is only a matter of time. You're paddle tails will become territorial and it will be messy.

D

deborah

Don't do it...
Don't mix Paddletails with any other critter...
Trust the people who have warned you... it IS only a matter of time, and it will be TRAGIC.
I speak from experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1