Cynops ensicauda popei, very fat

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Well this is like an emergency... I have noticed that one of my Cynops ensicauda popei has get more and more fat and i havent feed them because of my final exams... Till moments ago I just touched him and he his seriously very fat in comparison with my other 2.
This has started very soon because at 1 week ago they were all perfectly nice... I´m just shocked.
I have recieve them at 25.05.09 and today he is almost dead. i have separated him to a small container and when i got there he has almost dead with his belly to the top...:eek::cry: Oh my god!
It is frustrating because I have never been in this situation and I´m very mad...
Some facts:

-They are in a 44L setup with Basaltic rocks, many plants;
-They are a group of 3
-They had a couple of Cynops orientalis with them; (but the other C. e. popei are just fine)
-There are red cherrys with them;
-There are some snails of about 1cm in large x 0,5cm in diameter;
-they were forced to go aquatic, because they didn´t feed.

I´m just too nervous because it havent died a newt here form many time ago.
The last bad time has in a shipping were many were dead... but it hasn´t my fault...
This time the cynops mayve its my fault :cry::cry:
Any ideas?

I will post some images right next.

Just to get things worst the stupid photobucker service just went different and i can´t upload nothing... jesus... Can anyone send me your email to I send you the pics? To afterwards someone post them here? :eek:

I take that they are CB juveniles? If so, forcing them to be aquatic was a very unwise choice. Cynops, in general, VERY rarely go to water before a certain age/size...
Also, mixing them with WC C.orientalis might be the origin of the problem. Despite what some people think, we don´t discourage mixing just because...
It´s a fair possibility that it got something from the orientalis.
What are the temps?

How long were they not fed? Juveniles do not have the resistance of adults...they need food in almost a daily basis.
A photo would help...to see if it´s bloated, or impacted, or whatever it is.

It´s dead. To become all worst, I´ve thinked in suicide. Because my dad kiled acidently this morning 10 larvae just about to morph... all my work... :cry::cry:I just didn´t wanted to believe, my life is worst every day...
They popei were 9cm on size. Who sold me them, said they would accept water.
The tempratures are at 23ºC but the carry more than 26ºC has i read...
They were not feed for 2 weeks like my other 18 newts... err 17:cry:
thanks all guys I going to try to safe the others...

Bowl of seeds @: i´m going to send you some photos...

Jorgo, I'm very sorry to hear about both of your losses. Keeping amphibians can be very discouraging at times.

A death like this is usually caused by multiple reasons: in this case, stress from moving to a new place, lack of feeding (and cleaning?) due to your exams, and possibly the warmish temperature. Any one of these problems would have been OK, but the triple-stress all together was too much.

If the popei were 9cm, then I agree that they are ready for water. For the remaining popei, are they feeding now in the water? It is important to get them eating. If necessary, you might need to move them to a simpler setup until you are sure they are eating.

Yes, the first reason that took me to put them in the water was because they didn´t feed...
Now, thanks to God they are feding on L. terrestris, but they both some times show interest in coming out of water...:eek:
I think I wont have the luck to they become a couple... if i had the 3:rolleyes:...
They hadn´t lack of cleaning, my terrariums/aquariums are always nice in terms of that.
I wish to get a couple... I going to prepare a big natural aquarium, with many plants and some wood/rocks for the hardscape, they wouldn´t feel bad, would them?
thanks all,
Eljorgo

Still waiting for the pics :happy:
And im sorry to hear about your loss :(

A large naturalistic setup will be nice for them in the future. For the moment, I would keep them in a relatively simple setup until you are sure that they are eating well.

OK Jen thanks. They are in a simple one right now:blob:
Frank I think I´ve sended them at 2 days or something like that...
chip.

I'm sorry but I never received them. You can try sending them again If you'd like.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back