Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African Violet in a Fire Salamander Vivarium.

petlover516

Reaction score
Hi all.
My mom loves African Violets. While reading 1 of my pet books, 1 said that African Violets are good plants for "Moist Woodland Vivariums". It didn't specify anything about what Moist Woodland Vivarium Inhabitants could live with it. Can I put an African Violet in a Fire Salamander Vivarium?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
You could, but the plants wouldn't do too well. The fuzzy leaves tend to collect waste and such. Also, they are a bit fragile and probably would not hold up to a caudate stomping all over them. Another issue is fertilizers and pesticides used in the propagation of flowering plants. I think the biggest issue is temperature though, correct me if I am wrong, but African violets require temperatures much warmer than caudates.

stitchpunk

Reaction score
Too late to be of any help I'm sure, but just for future reference - i have several african violets in pots and I suspect that they would be tricky in a vivarium. If the leaves are in direct contact with moisture they get mouldy. They like a bit of humidity but not dampness, and do need feeding to get them to flower. Also if I remember correctly the leaves are poisonous to some animals.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the usual caveats about potted plants apply. When plants are shipped, they are often sprayed with pesticides and such. So one should always use their own cuttings in terrariums. It's a bad idea to go buy a potted plant and put directly it in with amphibians.

stitchpunk

Reaction score
Hmm good point. Do you think its ok though if you put the plants in some time before the animals? My newts won't be moving into their tank for several weeks yet but I have it mostly set up apart from plants...I don't have anything suitable to take cuttings from, my house plants are all African violets or desert plants that won't like a tank. So I was going to buy a couple of things now and get them planted and growing before the newts move in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!