Tape worms

S

steve

Hi i was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with tape worms in Necturus. One of my Mudpuppies has been slowly losing weight over the last few months, but i have been putting it down to a combination of the lower winter temps and a bit of competition between the other three puppies. However today i noticed a small patch of fungus has formed on the underside of the neck, this was treated with an anti fungicide and painted using an iodine based disinfectant (Tamodine). Then approximately two hours later i noticed a large tape worm coming out of the puppy's mouth, in fact with some help around a foot of worm was removed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to an amphibian safe wormer?
steve.

Oh my goodness, that is terrible!

I've never experienced this, but I think what you should do is take your Necturus to the vet along with the others. From what I know and I could be wrong is that Necturus are wild caught, and usually not treated for parasites or illness before they are shipped. I'm probably very wrong about this.

I had a Necturus for a while, and when I got him he was so thin and would not eat. He eventually died, it was sad.

It might be difficult to find a vet who knows anything about Necturus, but they still might be able to help find a proper medication for you.

Good luck
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back