Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing Frog!

BabyNemo

Reaction score
I purchased two fire bellied toads two weekends ago and they were both doing great. Both eating, running around, swimming. Today I noticed one of them was missing. He's smaller than my other, and was always skinnier. I tore apart the tank. I took out the eco-earth, moss, everything, in an attempt to find him and still nothing. I searched my whole room and room beside mine, bathroom, laundry room, hall way, closet. I don't know where he could possibly be.

I have a cat who loves to stalk them through the tank, and a tank right below theirs that if we would've gotten out, he could've fallen into it.. That tank is a 75 gallon turtle tank.. Is it possible my three turtles would've ate him? Do cats have a thing for eating toads?

I am so mad at myself for losing him..

AdvythAF

Reaction score
If your cat ate it, it could have become poisoned by the toad. Watch your cat for signs that it might be poisoned.

However, it is still possible it could be alive in your house. Try searching under moist, cool, dark places. Also, place wet paper towels on the floor, and check them periodically. You might find the toad on the paper towels as its instincts will make it seek moisture. Try searching the entire house at it could have gotten under a door and into other rooms.

You can see the link below to figure out how the toad could have escaped.

Caudata Culture Articles - Preventing Escape

dennis

Reaction score
If they are turtles of most species not torts they probably ate him if he got in there. Sorry. but good news a lot a reptiles are immune to different amphibian toxin or they'll spit them out.....watch your cat though close. My friend killed her bearded dragon accidently feeding it a common woodhouse baby toad she was just devastated but he died fast.

My Pitbull pup tried eating a bufo woodhouse toad and her face swelled up huge and she puked up foam for a few hours and really scared me then was fine....I gave her a lil bit a Benadryl cuz she was swollen huge......I've never had experience with any animals eating bombina but it is a bummer cuz they are way neat lil guys hope he is just hiding.....I once had a bombina I found in an old aquarium I bought that hibernated I guess in gravel in my 50 degree f garage all winter.....he may show up and your cat is smart enough to taster it likely and leave it alone.

BabyNemo

Reaction score
I don't think my cat ate it then.. He's been fine. I'm guessing the frog went missing Saturday.. I thought he was just hiding under the substrate like the other one likes to do, and food was still disappearing, so I didn't pay attention to it. I'm going to lay out some paper towels and search some more today. I'm going to look in my parent's room next.
The turtles are RES and YBS. I looked for possible remains of the frog in the turtle tank and didn't really find anything that was screaming "frog".Would catfish, gourami, and pleco eat the frog if my turtles spit him out?

I figured out that my top of the tank has a screen that doesn't sit all the way flush on the top, the corners have holes the size of m&ms for cords to be able to fit through. I'll fix that today. When I upgrade them to a 29 gallon would an acrylic top work better?

dennis

Reaction score
I'm hoping he is just pulling a good game a hide out. If you keep any house plants check them very carefully and esp the water catch areas under them. And watch your cat he/she may point him out for ya. But I'd imagine either your turtles would eat him whole so not ever finding remains is not unlikely. I don't hear a lot a bombina poisonings of pets and they are pretty common pet frog in stores so you should be fine......

I can't legally keep venomous snakes here in colo but I wouldn't anyhow because a-z seems to have went on liberty awol on me in my 39 years so don't beat ya self up. They all escape sometimes.....is it possible the bigger one ate him? I experienced a Huge adult female beaded lizard eat a young adult male whole this spring breeding. If I had not seen his tail hanging out her mouth I'd never believed it and even all the experts in the helodermid field I speak too were amazed. The male eaten was about half her body size maybe a pinch bigger than an extra large rat. But she digested him completely no problem......yikes:cool:

BabyNemo

Reaction score
I'm hoping he is just pulling a good game a hide out. If you keep any house plants check them very carefully and esp the water catch areas under them. And watch your cat he/she may point him out for ya. But I'd imagine either your turtles would eat him whole so not ever finding remains is not unlikely. I don't hear a lot a bombina poisonings of pets and they are pretty common pet frog in stores so you should be fine......

I can't legally keep venomous snakes here in colo but I wouldn't anyhow because a-z seems to have went on liberty awol on me in my 39 years so don't beat ya self up. They all escape sometimes.....is it possible the bigger one ate him? I experienced a Huge adult female beaded lizard eat a young adult male whole this spring breeding. If I had not seen his tail hanging out her mouth I'd never believed it and even all the experts in the helodermid field I speak too were amazed. The male eaten was about half her body size maybe a pinch bigger than an extra large rat. But she digested him completely no problem......yikes:cool:
The bigger one was looking a little plumper than usual last night. But, the food was gone, too. The cat has been stalking around the floor of the tanks and last night I tore apart under the tanks looking for him after seeing the cat stalking... Still nothing. Going to look again now.

Edit:: Thought the other one had gone missing, too. I think I know how frog #1 got out, if we did. The filter for their water section has a cord that feeds through a little opening in the screen. If the top isn't completely closed, there's about a half inch of space he could've gotten through..
http://www.caudata.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!